Egg eating problems!

Hybridchucks

Queen Of The Coop
Jul 13, 2016
Burdsville
My Coop
My Coop
I have a hen (i don't know which one of my 7 girls) but she is eating an egg from the same hen every morning! Its sooo annoying! Every morning! What can i do to stop this????
I don't really want to go to see the hen laying and take the egg quickly, before the evil hen eats it!......any help would be appreciated.....:)

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 30, 2015
Personally, I'd doubt that egg eating and protein deficiency are related. What may be more likely is that at some point, one of your hens came across a cracked or soft shelled egg, and being inquisitive, gave it a few good extra pecks and got the reward of an egg. This has become a learned behaviour where an action (pecking an egg) results in a reward (the raw egg).

I'd suggest putting effort into finding the culprit (learned behaviours can be contagious) and isolating her and putting ceramic eggs in a nest box. She may, over time "unlearn" the relationship between egg pecking and reward, and give up. The flip side is, she may not. I would not tolerate and egg eating hen in my flock, but thats a choice you would have to make. I'm sure that others will provide additional suggestions - see what you make of them all, and then do what you feel is best, would be my advice.

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 30, 2015
Last edited:

strangeanimal

Songster
Mar 21, 2017
Belgium
hi , I've delt with this issue too , problem is once they've tasted the egg they are unlikely going to stop doing it but there are some cases she stops using indeed a ceramic egg or better : try a cooked egg , saw in two , fill up with mostard ( taking yolk out ) once she has tasted the mostard she might step of the idea to eat eggs . Tried EVERYthing with my egg-eating hen but it all failed , she became actually cannibalistic eating pieces of herself and being real crazy , had to cull that one , hopes up for your hen ! good luck !

Top Bottom