Egg eating problems!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hybridchucks, May 24, 2017.

1. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

I have a hen (i don't know which one of my 7 girls) but she is eating an egg from the same hen every morning! Its sooo annoying! Every morning! What can i do to stop this????
    I don't really want to go to see the hen laying and take the egg quickly, before the evil hen eats it!......any help would be appreciated.....:)

2. krista rogers

krista rogers New Egg

May 17, 2017
    It sounds like she might be protein deficient. You might try some moist catfood or meallyworms.I hope that helps you out.

Hybridchucks likes this.
  3. Hybridchucks

thank u xx :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Personally, I'd doubt that egg eating and protein deficiency are related. What may be more likely is that at some point, one of your hens came across a cracked or soft shelled egg, and being inquisitive, gave it a few good extra pecks and got the reward of an egg. This has become a learned behaviour where an action (pecking an egg) results in a reward (the raw egg).

I'd suggest putting effort into finding the culprit (learned behaviours can be contagious) and isolating her and putting ceramic eggs in a nest box. She may, over time "unlearn" the relationship between egg pecking and reward, and give up. The flip side is, she may not. I would not tolerate and egg eating hen in my flock, but thats a choice you would have to make. I'm sure that others will provide additional suggestions - see what you make of them all, and then do what you feel is best, would be my advice.

Hybridchucks likes this.
  5. Hybridchucks

I think personally she learn it by accident....one hen does lay soft shells...i don't know which one, fat ones lay soft eggs don't they?

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Soft shelled eggs can be caused by a number of factors - this link may help - http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Maybe if you can address the possible causes of the soft shelled egg hen, then you may solve your problem of egg eating.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    strangeanimal and Hybridchucks like this.
  7. Hybridchucks

thanks for your help! xx and thanks for the link...:)

8. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    :thumbsup

Hybridchucks likes this.
  9. strangeanimal

strangeanimal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2017
    Belgium
    hi , I've delt with this issue too , problem is once they've tasted the egg they are unlikely going to stop doing it but there are some cases she stops using indeed a ceramic egg or better : try a cooked egg , saw in two , fill up with mostard ( taking yolk out ) once she has tasted the mostard she might step of the idea to eat eggs . Tried EVERYthing with my egg-eating hen but it all failed , she became actually cannibalistic eating pieces of herself and being real crazy , had to cull that one , hopes up for your hen ! good luck !

Hybridchucks likes this.
  10. strangeanimal

strangeanimal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2017
    Belgium

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by