Egg food safety, food poisoning

Urbanannie

Chirping
May 21, 2021
Hey all! I am a little perplexed about this situation so wanted to see if anyone’s had a similar experience! My neighbor has been buying eggs from me for a few weeks. Yesterday she comes over and says she ate two of my eggs and then broke out in a rash/hives and had to go to the doctor. They put her on antibiotics.

It sounds like an allergic reaction but she says she’s eaten other eggs since then and had been fine. Can mild food poisoning present itself as just hives?

My whole family eats my chickens eggs every single day and we’ve never had any issues.

I agree that it sounds like a allergic reaction which may or may not be food related. And even if it is doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with your eggs. When I developed a sudden allergic reaction to cherries and we didn’t know what I had ate that caused it the doctors banned me from eating anything I had had in the last 24hrs since it can take awhile for the reaction to develop and become noticeable. It was the same for a friend that developed a allergy to nsaids.
Food poisoning can cause rashes but it’s also takes hours or even days for symptoms to show. Personally I wouldn’t worry much and would just be a bit stricter with food safety around your eggs for a bit. Throwing out any questionable ones collecting and refrigerating them quickly and making sure you cook them.

Why would she need an antibiotic for hives?
Some doctors give them out for allergic reactions. I don’t know why. But infections can also cause hives not just allergic reactions. The first time I got them was because of a sinus infection that spread to my ears and eyes. Symptoms of infections and allergic reactions can be similar at times because they are both caused by immune response.

Some doctors give them out for allergic reactions. I don’t know why. But infections can also cause hives not just allergic reactions. The first time I got them was because of a sinus infection that spread to my ears and eyes. Symptoms of infections and allergic reactions can be similar at times because they are both caused by immune response.
I didn’t know infections could cause hives, that’s good to know, and makes the antibiotic make sense! I don’t understand an antibiotic for an allergic reaction, but maybe I’m missing something.

I've had allergic reactions and food intolerances in the past. It was difficult to pin down the causes. One was cooking oils (especially sunflower), another iron... The remedy for all allergies/intolerances for me (which showed up mainly as 'hives' or urticaria) was antihistamine - I never heard of antibiotics being used for this - they're usually used for 'viral' issues, I believe.

I've had allergic reactions and food intolerances in the past. It was difficult to pin down the causes. One was cooking oils (especially sunflower), another iron... The remedy for all allergies/intolerances for me (which showed up mainly as 'hives' or urticaria) was antihistamine - I never heard of antibiotics being used for this - they're usually used for 'viral' issues, I believe.
Antibiotics are used for bacterial infections. They have no affect on viral infections.

Back
Top Bottom