Egg forming in wrong order?

henchick726

Hatching
May 21, 2016
Longtown, OK
I've had this chicken for 2 months. Brown bovan 12-16 months old from what I've been told. When I first got her she laid eggs of a very large size, sounded like she was hurting everytime she laid because of the size. Previous owner was feeding regular feed store laying pellets. I feed my hens organic feed and provide oyster shells, they also roam my backyard eating grass and what ever bugs they like. When I switched her food she started laying every other day and then stopped and then I started finding albumen, no shell no yolk for a few days in a row. Then I would find the albumen and membrane. Today I found albumen where she sleeps and then she went in to the nesting box to lay about 30 min later, there was a thin sandpaper she'll that broke with only the yolk. Is she still adjusting? Will this fix it's self? Or am I dealing with a disease? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I am unfamiliar with that breed, is it some type of sex link hen? The eggs you are describing is often caused by stress or change, but by two months it should be worked. My suspicion is you have some type of sex link that is winding down in production. I don't believe it's a disease, unless you are noticing some breathing troubles. Try to keep stress and changes to a minimum and hopefully she will straighten out. What is the protein content of your feed, 16% is minimum, and often backyard flocks do better on 18-20%, so up the protein if she isn't receiving enough.

I am unfamiliar with that breed, is it some type of sex link hen? The eggs you are describing is often caused by stress or change, but by two months it should be worked. My suspicion is you have some type of sex link that is winding down in production. I don't believe it's a disease, unless you are noticing some breathing troubles. Try to keep stress and changes to a minimum and hopefully she will straighten out. What is the protein content of your feed, 16% is minimum, and often backyard flocks do better on 18-20%, so up the protein if she isn't receiving enough.

Thank you for the input! I believe she is a red sexlink. No troubles breathing poo is good and appears to be healthy. The protein is only 16% I will up it and see if that helps thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom