Egg Frustration

Pela Phillips

Chirping
Nov 21, 2017
SE Wisconsin
I have one molting Cayuga, so I don’t expect her to lay for a bit. I also have two buffs who have stopped laying eggs for no apparent reason. I got the two buffs two weeks ago. They are 2 yrs old, healthy and although not prolific layers I was getting at least one egg per day between the 3 of them. Any tips? I’m pretty frustrated. I was told that getting a drake would help but I have a cap on how many birds that I am allowed to keep and I worry about surprise ducklings.

My Buffs and Runners are quiet on the egg laying front right now. They lay like crazy when they lay though so I am always relieved when they take a break they are two an a half yrs old.Maybe your Buffs just need a little extra time to settle in what do you feed them?

Last edited:
You said you got them only 2 weeks ago, the move is not only stressful for the new birds, but the integration is stressful on the existing birds. It is not uncommon for ducks to go on a laying strike after moves and/or during integration. Additionally, peak breeding season in North America is behind us, days are getting shorter, and duck laying is likely slowing down in general. As @snow5164 said, give it time. They will adjust to their new home, your ducks will adjust to your new ducks, laying will resume with some regularity. When I got new ducks of laying age (they were about a year and a half at the time) and moved them to my home, it was 5-6 weeks before all the girls were laying consistently, but once they were, production was great.

My Buffs and Runners are quiet on the egg laying front right now. They lay like crazy when they lay though so I am always relieved when they take a break they are two an a half yrs old.Maybe your Buffs just need a little extra time to settle in what do you feed them?
I feed them a layer feed and they free range in a fenced yard all day. They get bugs, worms, grass, weeds, and we give them veggies, herbs, or peas most days.

Back
Top Bottom