Egg Frustration

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pela Phillips, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Pela Phillips

Pela Phillips In the Brooder

Nov 21, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    I have one molting Cayuga, so I don’t expect her to lay for a bit. I also have two buffs who have stopped laying eggs for no apparent reason. I got the two buffs two weeks ago. They are 2 yrs old, healthy and although not prolific layers I was getting at least one egg per day between the 3 of them. Any tips? I’m pretty frustrated. I was told that getting a drake would help but I have a cap on how many birds that I am allowed to keep and I worry about surprise ducklings.

Chick-N-Fun, Raenh and casportpony like this.
  2. Duck Lover88

Duck Lover88 Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Piedmont N.C
    Not sure why they stoped laying but if you keep your eyes on them you shouldn't suddenly have ducklings.

Raenh, Pela Phillips and casportpony like this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

My Buffs and Runners are quiet on the egg laying front right now. They lay like crazy when they lay though so I am always relieved when they take a break they are two an a half yrs old.Maybe your Buffs just need a little extra time to settle in what do you feed them?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  4. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Moving them is hard on any animal,
    Give them time to adjust

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    You said you got them only 2 weeks ago, the move is not only stressful for the new birds, but the integration is stressful on the existing birds. It is not uncommon for ducks to go on a laying strike after moves and/or during integration. Additionally, peak breeding season in North America is behind us, days are getting shorter, and duck laying is likely slowing down in general. As @snow5164 said, give it time. They will adjust to their new home, your ducks will adjust to your new ducks, laying will resume with some regularity. When I got new ducks of laying age (they were about a year and a half at the time) and moved them to my home, it was 5-6 weeks before all the girls were laying consistently, but once they were, production was great.

Raenh, snow5164, Chick-N-Fun and 4 others like this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Stress of movement, time of year and potentially age of birds are all factors. They may not start laying again until days lengthen in the spring. Just as a rooster has no impact on chicken hens laying eggs a drake has no impact on duck hens laying.

Raenh, snow5164, Chick-N-Fun and 5 others like this.
  7. Pela Phillips

Pela Phillips In the Brooder

Nov 21, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    I feed them a layer feed and they free range in a fenced yard all day. They get bugs, worms, grass, weeds, and we give them veggies, herbs, or peas most days.

Raenh, Chick-N-Fun and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Sounds like a good diet might want to also put out a bowl of oyster shell because once they start laying they will need even more calcium one of mine lays whoppers.

9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Seasonal layers.

Pela Phillips likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

There is still time for you to get eggs. Even my Muscovy's who are true seasonal layers lay up into late Sept. So you may still get some eggs up until early fall. Hope you do anyway. :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: