egg is stuck inside skin and is hanging on the hens bottom

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

i am going to run to town to pick things up. which would be the best prep.H or honey?

Probably prep. H, that's designed to shrink things, and that's what you want to happen, so it goes back in.

Also, when you apply it, smear it all around the outside, and try to work a little bit in as well. Don't force it if it seems to hurt her, though.​

Last edited:
ok i got the preperation H stuff well the generic brand. cleaned her again put it on her i hope it helps. it was just hanging out about an inch. is it possible she can go out for a little while this evening or tomorrow?

okshe started flying into the mirror so i took her out for a few min. she almost went straight to the nest box. she has been working on getting it reading for maybe 10 min now, does this mean she will try to lay an egg? i kept her in the dark all but maybe 45 min. today?

Ma'am, I am not in any way trying to be rude. But you've been given some very good advice here to help your hen. I know you feel bad about leaving her alone in the dark, but it's the best thing for her. I'm sure she'd rather be back in that dark bathroom instead of having prolapsed again. Now she's back at square one and the small amount of good that had been done is undone. Please, follow the advice and you will see improvement. I wish you the best of luck with her and hope you'll continue to keep us all posted.

Oh dear. A repeat is the worst case scenario.
*hugs*
You have my sympathy in having to make this decision. Go back to the first post and everything that was said still applies.
I am afraid that if you return to the vet, it will be at least $27 per egg and you may need a standing appointment. It sounds like there is a physical problem with this hen's exit tunnel.
I realize she is a pet, but now you will need to do some serious thinking about long term.
Good luck.
I always find it reassuring to remember that there is a reason that hens hatch clutches of a dozen or more to propagate the species. Not every hatchling survives and there are always physical deformities that eliminate a percentage. Nature has its reasons.

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

she just did it again and it is stuck again. i dont know wat to do my heart is broke.

We've given you advice to help you with your chicken so you should have followed so it's back at square one again. I wish you the best help that you can do to save your hen.​

i did follow all the advice, i did. i kept her in the dark all day except when i cleaned her. i even covered the windows to keep it dark. i did what i was told. i only took her out for a few min. before she went to the nest box we were only out there a few min

Back
Top Bottom