Egg issues

laneybug777

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
Hi, I have a hen who keeps laying soft, cracked, and distorted eggs. I have tried the crushed egg shell and as it seems to work for about a week, the problem returns. Is there an oral solution I can give to this one hen that will help? I assume its a calcium deficiency .

Greetings from Kansas, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! I agree there is a calcium deficiency with your hens. I think the solution might not be egg shells but crushed oyster shell (at your local farm and ranch or some grain elevators). Should toughen those shells up in a week or two. You might post over in the egg section below just in case I'm way off base. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying

Some girls just seem to need more or maybe have trouble metabolising it. I have one like this.

I leave oyster shell (known here as shell grit) out all the time and they will each take a little when they feel they need it. I also have a Calcium liquid supplement called Calcivet. This also has Vitamin D3 added - which is essential if the hen is to absorb the calcium effectively. I mix this with water and add to their wet mash about once a week. You can just direct dose the one hen who needs it, if you prefer.

I still get problems from time to time - in fact, mostly a completely shell-less egg laid off the roost, like she doesn't even recognise that an egg is coming. I asked for more advice and a BYCer recommended liquid trace elements and amino acids. I buy this here in Australia as TraceMin, but you could probably source it online from a vet supplier or poultry online store. This suggests adding three times per week. Again, I just add it about once a week.

I have had no problems since doing this, so maybe start with shell grit and liquid calcium, then add trace elements if it still continues.

Good luck!

Hi - I'm new to BYC too, joined yesterday, welcome! I don't have the problem with shells like you are and like others have posted, crushed oyster shells are good to give the hens. You don't give them much compared to the amount of food. We use Purina Layena Sun Fresh Recipe feed and have good results. 4 hens and 4 eggs a day. Hope you get it worked out.

Thank you to all have posted! I now have some ideas of how to help my girl without having to .... Well, you know.

Back
Top Bottom