Egg layers

Egglayer123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Ireland
Which would be the best egg laying goose?
and also how many eggs will they lay?
Do they lay like chickens? every day or every other day??
Much appriciated!!
Thanks
big_smile.png

Geese are seasonal and most lay every other to every three days. Sometimes you can have two laid on back to back days. Most people buy geese based on one of two or both reasons. They like how they look, or they are bred as a meat goose.

Seasonal laying varies as where you live. Ours started in January and are done for the year now.

I think in the lists of geese, Chinese geese lay the most eggs of any goose, but they are still seasonal. Some people said their geese had a mini laying season in the fall as well as the spring laying season that is almost over. The Metzer's website has a great comparison of breeds and it lists how many eggs each goose breed averages.

I have Buff American geese, and each female goose laid about 15 eggs before going broody -- if I'd kept taking the eggs, I could have gotten more than that though. They are all broody right now, and won't be laying again this year I think, unless they decide to lay a bit in the fall.

hmm im still not sure about getting one.. i dont thnk i have enuf room 4 one!! havnt tried ther eggs either!! as much as i would love one or two il hold off 4 another wile and see what happens
big_smile.png

hmm im still not sure about getting one.. i dont thnk i have enuf room 4 one!! havnt tried ther eggs either!! as much as i would love one or two il hold off 4 another wile and see what happens
big_smile.png
Very smart to do your research first. As mentioned, if you are getting them for eggs, you will be disappointed. i've read they lay between February and June, depending on weather. We have two adult one-year-old females. One of them has laid two eggs this season. My understanding is that they don't really get going with egg-laying until they are two years old. So you have to do a lot of feeding, tending, and raising to get to the first eggs. Then, they do require a lot of room as they need to be able to graze, and then a kiddie pool to stay clean and mate.

If you were looking for a waterfowl that gives you eggs, ducks are great (messy, but great). My Golden Hybrid 300's and White Crested lay like crazy.

What Enchanted Sunrise said ...

Except mine seem to lay quite well the first year. I've usually even had goslings the first year, though only a small number (maybe 1-4 from any goose, and not any from some). My youngest right now were hatched last July and have laid like crazy ... from two geese I think I got a total of 70ish eggs and they don't appear to be finished yet.

I would never get a goose for egg production though. If you DID want one for that, Chinese probably will lay the most for you and are more likely to have two seasons. But ducks FAR outpace geese. I had to trim down my duck flock to only a few because I was swimming in duck eggs.

yea i was thinkg about ducks.. i hear the khaki campbells are GREAT layers! and for the geese i dnt really have the room 2 be breeding them never mind the weather here in ireland so i thnk il have to give them a miss
sad.png
thanks for all the comments :)

Back
Top Bottom