Egg Laying . . . Hmmm, I wonder

Nov 7, 2021
Lyric's World
Hubby says I can make hens lay INSIDE the coop in their nesting boxes by having them stay in the coop until like 10 a.m.ish; then letting them out to free range.

But, I read here (or somewhere) that chickens lay all day long and that each day they lay an hour later than previously until eventually they skip a day. Digressing, I would love to collect eggs from their nesting boxes vs scouring 4 acres ISO eggs.

Is there a definitive way to ensure laying in the nesting boxes? TIA.

Chickens should have a place they feel "safe" to lay their eggs. Ideally, this is in nesting boxes. But they'll also choose a planter, your deck chairs, under the garden shed, under a bush..... weird, I know.

Your hubby is right, to a point. 10am-ish might not be long enough, at least while you're re-training them. Do you have a RUN attached to their coop? It's not healthy to keep them locked in the coop all day, but they must be confined to an area where they feel the only safe place IS in the nesting boxes.

I have a very large run and coop, with 5-gal buckets on their sides attached to a frame for nesting boxes in the coop. My birds are let out of the coop 1st thing in the morning, but I don't let them free-range until 2-3 in the afternoon. With very rare exceptions, all eggs are laid in the buckets. I have not seen that they lay an hour later each day. I collect eggs at about 4-5pm each day, and average the same amount each day. Occasionally, there will be one or two eggs in the nesting buckets when they go into the coop at night. Not often. So at least for my flock, I don't believe they are laying later every day - else the buckets would be filled at nightfall sometimes.

You can try putting a fake egg or two in their nesting boxes. You can buy these at a farm store or online - wood, ceramic, etc. Or use golf balls. Chickens will be tempted to lay where an "egg" has already been laid.

So my advice in summary: Enclose them in a run for the first half of the day, and put fake eggs in their nesting boxes.

Back
Top Bottom