Broodiness and hiding eggs

CatlinPM

Hatching
Aug 29, 2023
I have Bielefelders and Buff Orpingtons, both very broody breeds by nature. I feel like the Bielefelders are broody 80% of the time in fact so I hardly get any eggs from the 8 hens I have. I get more from the orpingtons, but they are escape artists and like to get out and lay their eggs where I can't find them on our 3 acres. I'm planning on reinforcing our chicken run again but they always seem to find a hole.

Even so, there run is large, about 150 x 30 ft with a creek running through it and there are bushes and blackberry brambles in spots. My biggest problem is that even if they don't get out, 9 times out of 10 none of the chickens will lay in their nesting boxes and they find hiding places in the bushes to lay eggs.

My question is, are certain breeds better at laying in their coop? Does this relate to broodiness? I got to thinking that maybe the mothering instinct to raise a clutch of eggs takes over and they are driven to find a good hiding spot to lay. I'm considering starting over with a less broody breed, but I don't know if it will make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom