Egg Laying/not laying & what's the correct feed

Another reason for feeding a 20% all age appropriate crumble with calcium offered separately....no need to worry about such changes. Life simplified
I feed 20% pellets year 'round, to all ages, both sexes; no problems. I set out a feed pan of calcium a while back; birds never ate any that I could tell, but they regularly used it for a nest 'til I removed it. I regularly toss egg shells to them for calcium; never have an egg-eater unless an egg gets broken in the nest, which doesn't happen often enough to suspect intentional breaking.

Ditto Dat^^^
This works great for a mixed age flock...only the layers partake of the oyster shell.
Excess calcium intake can damage liver and kidneys over long term.

You are actually reducing their nutrition with all the treats, especially if feeding layer feed ration which is usually lower in protein(~16%). Keep treats to less than 10% volume of ration consumed daily. Feed them nothing but the layer for a week to figure out how much they normally eat daily.

That said...the info above from folks with polish affirms what I thought about them not be prolific layers. They probably wouldn't have molted at that age...but maybe.

ETA: I wonder if polish are not prolific layers because that top knot interferes with the light absorption by the pineal gland located behind the skull just above the eyes?
@aart Thank you! And, just so I’m clear, the peppers, cucumber, etc is too much treats?

Thank you very much, this was very reassuring. We are fine getting no eggs, as they are really just a bonus for us - we wanted the girls just as pets mainly. I just wanted to make sure they should still NOT be laying and that the feed we were still giving them was ok. We give them a bounty of fresh fruits, veggies and scraps at least 5 out of 7 days a week so hopefully we are supplementing the layer feed properly. And, BOY, they get so excited to see me coming with their tray of treats! I LOVE IT!!! A few examples of their SPOILDNESS are attached. Thank you again for your advice!View attachment 1645674 View attachment 1645676

Feeding that much treats is not good for your chickens.

Chicken feed is designed as a complete nutrition blend. Feeding treats means they will have shortages and excess of certain nutrients. Even if they look like a healthy photo out of a Whole Foods magazine to a human.

Free range chickens naturally adjust their diet insects vs plant matter. When given treats they simply gobble up all that is offered.

@aart Thank you! And, just so I’m clear, the peppers, cucumber, etc is too much treats?
I will repeat:
You are actually reducing their nutrition with all the treats, especially if feeding layer feed ration which is usually lower in protein(~16%). Keep treats to less than 10% volume of ration consumed daily. Feed them nothing but the layer for a week to figure out how much they normally eat daily.

Whoa, that IS a lot of treats! And i'm very guilty of treating mine too so i'm in no way scolding you.
Ideally though you could cut that amount way down and still treat your ladies.
The peanuts and strawberries are excellent treats whilst cucumbers and chex mix offer very little in nutritional value.
If you do insist on treats, 1/3 of what you're currently offering would still do nicely and maybe limit to three days a week instead.
They won't be upset, I swear.:)
Thank you very much, this was very reassuring. We are fine getting no eggs, as they are really just a bonus for us - we wanted the girls just as pets mainly. I just wanted to make sure they should still NOT be laying and that the feed we were still giving them was ok. We give them a bounty of fresh fruits, veggies and scraps at least 5 out of 7 days a week so hopefully we are supplementing the layer feed properly. And, BOY, they get so excited to see me coming with their tray of treats! I LOVE IT!!! A few examples of their SPOILDNESS are attached. Thank you again for your advice!View attachment 1645674 View attachment 1645676

Whoa, that IS a lot of treats! And i'm very guilty of treating mine too so i'm in no way scolding you.
Ideally though you could cut that amount way down and still treat your ladies.
The peanuts and strawberries are excellent treats whilst cucumbers and chex mix offer very little in nutritional value.
If you do insist on treats, 1/3 of what you're currently offering would still do nicely and maybe limit to three days a week instead.
They won't be upset, I swear.:)

Back
Top Bottom