Egg laying questions....

NewFlockMom

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2017
Hello friends,
We purchased our 1st coop and hens about 6 weeks ago. The Orpington came with the coop; we soon added 2 RI Reds, 2 Easter Eggers and an Americana. We have the Americana and 2 cochins in their own coop. Everyone seems to have settled in but still not a single egg. Our days are shorter now. Should I add a light on a timer? We're feeding the food that was recommended for layers. Appreciate any advice!

Hi! Sounds like you have a great mix of breeds...how old are they? Most pullets will begin laying sometime around 20-25 weeks of age. This is just an average though, I had an Easter egger than was close to 40 weeks when she laid her first egg, and a leghorn that began at week 17.

Could be a combination of a number of things - the age of the chickens, the season (are/were they molting? how much light are they getting?), and stress from moving to a new home. All of those can have an impact on egg production.

I personally don't add light as I want my chickens to get their winter break.

Thank you both - I don't know exact ages but was assured by the sellers that all but 2 are of laying age. We are located in TN so they are getting an average of 10 hours of daylight this time of year. I'm not opposed to letting everyone rest over the winter but of course am looking forward to eggs!

Welcome to BYC!
Thank you both - I don't know exact ages but was assured by the sellers that all but 2 are of laying age. We are located in TN so they are getting an average of 10 hours of daylight this time of year. I'm not opposed to letting everyone rest over the winter but of course am looking forward to eggs!
So the 2 are less than laying age? The older ones could be 2-3 years old? Moving is a big stressor.

We have the Americana and 2 cochins in their own coop.
Why is that?

We're feeding the food that was recommended for layers.
.....and what would that be?

Back
Top Bottom