egg laying

marie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
NW Oregon Coast
I have 12 hens and was getting around 9 or 10 eggs a day in the summer. But, now that the days are getting shorter and darker there are days that I do not get any eggs. My average is around 2 eggs a day. Most of my hens are Americaunas. Are there breeds that continue to lay in the winter? Is artificially lengthening their days (with a timer) cruel? Do they need a rest in the winter?
marie

Some people think that adding artificial lighting is wrong. This is a personal decision, it all depends on weather you need the eggs or not. Artificial lighting will help. Yes some breeds are better winter layers than others. RIRs usually lay well in the winter.

Hello We have 5 moyers which is a cross between a RIR and a White rock.They are still giving us 4 to 5 eggs a day.Now they say that layers need 14 hours of light a day.So I do have a light that is on a timer and it comes on at dusk and cuts off after they have had their 14 hours of daylight.So that might be why we are still getting the same number of eggs!! Good Luck!!
JIM&LINDY

Quote:
I have Barred and Buff Rocks and they are not slacking yet. I personally won't give them light, not to give them rest, just can't be bothered. It's just the natural cycle of chickens in this part of the hemisphere. 23 layers so I will still have some eggs.

Back
Top Bottom