Egg noodles- need advice

My go to for egg noodles.....

1&3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold water
1 teaspoon oil

Mix dry ingredients, (I mix my eggs, water and oil before adding them) add wet and stir with a fork just to incorporate it all.
Turn onto floured surface and kneed....I kneed only until a rollable consistency.
Roll thin (1/16th inch) cut 1/4" wide and then into 3" lengths.
It helps to divide the dough into quarters before rolling. It makes it more manageable.
This makes 1 pound pasta.
If freezing dry it for an hour then freeze for up to 8 months.

Cook this about ten minutes then test it by cutting a noodle in half. If it has a white line in the middle it needs more time.

:drool Turkey and noodles. :drool

Last edited:
If the dough is sticking to the cutter, you need to add more flour till it quits sticking. When the cutter Mfr includes a basic recipe for pasta dough, it's a ball park guess based on conditions at the Mfr. Plus there's no way to know the exact size eggs different people use. In a desert, the Mfr's recipe might be too dry, but down south in high humidity, you may have to add more flour. Hope this helps.
Yes, but at the point you've got the dough in the cutter and realise that you have to add more flour, you'll usually overwork the dough if you do. And our humidity's really, really variable.

EDT: my mother prefers the really, really thin noodles. So they're about a sixteenth of an inch and square-tipped, and it's really, really hard to get the dryness right for that. She doesn't have nearly as much of an issue if she makes the 1/16"x1/4" ones.

My go to for egg noodles.....

1&3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold water
1 teaspoon oil

Mix dry ingredients, (I mix my eggs, water and oil before adding them) add wet and stir with a fork just to incorporate it all.
Turn onto floured surface and kneed....I kneed only until a rollable consistency.
Roll thin (1/16th inch) cut 1/4" wide and then into 3" lengths.
It helps to divide the dough into quarters before rolling. It makes it more manageable.
This makes 1 pound pasta.
If freezing dry it for an hour then freeze for up to 8 months.

Cook this about ten minutes then test it by cutting a noodle in half. If it has a white line in the middle of needs more time.

:drool Turkey and noodles. :drool
Sounds like a good low-fat Egg Noodle recipe. I've made egg noodles with just yolks (no-whites) before that are delicious! I'll have to try putting a little oil in next time, might even be better than the old recipe! :hugs

Sounds like a good low-fat Egg Noodle recipe. I've made egg noodles with just yolks (no-whites) before that are delicious! I'll have to try putting a little oil in next time, might even be better than the old recipe! :hugs

Truth be told this is our of the very first cookbook I bought when I was 18. I am a long ways from 18 now so it's a pretty old recipe too. ;)

Yes, but at the point you've got the dough in the cutter and realise that you have to add more flour, you'll usually overwork the dough if you do. And our humidity's really, really variable.

EDT: my mother prefers the really, really thin noodles. So they're about a sixteenth of an inch and square-tipped, and it's really, really hard to get the dryness right for that. She doesn't have nearly as much of an issue if she makes the 1/16"x1/4" ones.
Here in lower Alabama, the humidity can be atrocious!
Whether you are cutting spaghetti, fettuccine, farfelle, canolis, or even lasagna, the dough should be the same moisture content, and it shouldn't stick to anything, not the bowl, the counter, metal, or you. When my grand mother from Sicily taught me to make pasta, I used to want her to give me strict measurements (how many cups flour). She would say "that will not work most times". Then she would tell me "just put a pile of flour on counter, add eggs, then keep adding floor till it is right".
You can "test" your pasta before putting it thru the cutter. Use a large knife (or a pizza cutter and metal ruler for spaghetti noodles) to trim the dough to fit the cutter machine. If it sticks at all, add more flour and roll it out again. Also remember to dust both side of the pasta with flour before running it thru the cutter. Maybe this will help some. Store bought dry pasta just doesn't compare to fresh home-made. :drool
PS Don't worry about overworking the dough, you're Not making biscuits. If you know any old Italian women that know how and regularly make pasta from scratch, go watch them and ask questions. You'll have fun and learn too.
:thumbsup

Last edited:
Here in lower Alabama, the humidity can be atrocious!
Whether you are cutting spaghetti, fettuccine, farfelle, canolis, or even lasagna, the dough should be the same moisture content, and it shouldn't sick to anything, not the bowl, the counter, metal, or you. When my grand mother from Sicily taught me to make pasta, I used to want her to give me strict measurements (how many cups flour). She would say "that will not work most times". Then she would tell me "just put a pile of flour on counter, add eggs, then keep adding floor till it is right".
You can "test" your pasta before putting it thru the cutter. Use a large knife (or a pizza cutter and metal ruler for spaghetti noodles) to trim the dough to fit the cutter machine. If it sticks at all, add more flour and roll it out again. Also remember to dust both side of the pasta with flour before running it thru the cutter. Maybe this will help some. Store bought dry pasta just doesn't compare to fresh home-made. :drool
PS Don't worry about overworking the dough, you're Not making biscuits. If you know any old Italian women that know how and regularly make pasta from scratch, go watch them and ask questions. You'll have fun and learn too.
:thumbsup
If I ever get eggs again (Hmph. Chickens.) I'll borrow the bobber and try what you recommend.

If I ever get eggs again (Hmph. Chickens.) I'll borrow the bobber and try what you recommend.
I know what you mean. I decided give them a break from extra light this winter. Between the short days and molting, I haven't seen any new eggs in weeks. What's crazy is even the Leghorn pullets have quit, that or they are hiding them pretty good!
:hit

Back
Top Bottom