Egg noodles- need advice

Chris-n-Kate

Songster
Mar 13, 2019
My attempts at egg noodles look like french fries once I add them to broth and they have a rubber chewy texture. What am I doing wrong?

My tips are....
Don't overwork the mixture and roll them thin....like 1/16th of an inch thin.

They are a favorite thing here.

The other thing if they are "puffing up" when you cook them might be the recipe you have.
Usually it they puff though they are not tough.

Oh and they take a lot longer to cook than one would think.

Anyone have a recipe they can share so I can try to make them?
Yes, I have a good recipe.
Any kind of noodles or pasta are super easy and doesn't take a rocket scientist.
This makes about 1 1/2 lbs.
6 eggs
6-7 cups ALL PURPOSE flour
3 teaspoons salt
In a large bowl, mix up 5 cups flour and salt while dry.
Make a cone shaped depression in the center of the floor, crack eggs into there.
Using your fingers and hands, start mixing until all the floor is absorbed by the eggs. It may still be sticky and too soft.
Add some of the 6th cup of flour till you can handle the dough ball without it sticking to you or the bowl.
Get some thick string or cord and tie it around the ends of your rolling pin, this will act like a depth Guage.
Dump it out on a floured counter (or on meat wrapping paper keeps counter cleaner).
Roll it out thin as you can, sprinkle more floor over it, fold the pasta dough over itself, sprinkle more flour, roll out, repeat until you use all the floor.
Depending on humidity and size of eggs, you may have to use up to seven cups of flour. You want it to be like a really dry cookie dough. And don't worry about over kneading or rolling it, it's pasta, not biscuits.
Once it's rolled out thin as you want it, let it rest about 20 minutes, get a long sharp knife and cut it into what ever size pasta you want. My Momma could cut spaghetti perfectly by hand but I never had the patience. I usually stick to larger noodles.
As you cut your noodles, toss them back in the big bowl with some more flour to keep them from sticking together.
If you cook them fresh, it doesn't take as long as dried pasta, don't overcook them. What ever you don't cook right then, you can refrigerate, or you can dry them out on a wire rack.
Pasta is a very easy, noncomplicated food. Just 3 ingredients, but a little labor intensive.
This same recipe can make dumplings if you use self rising flour. You can even use spinach or tomato flour/powder to make colored pasta. Maybe add spices or herbs to make it your own.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy.
:drool

If the dough is sticking to the cutter, you need to add more flour till it quits sticking. When the cutter Mfr includes a basic recipe for pasta dough, it's a ball park guess based on conditions at the Mfr. Plus there's no way to know the exact size eggs different people use. In a desert, the Mfr's recipe might be too dry, but down south in high humidity, you may have to add more flour. Hope this helps.
Yes, but at the point you've got the dough in the cutter and realise that you have to add more flour, you'll usually overwork the dough if you do. And our humidity's really, really variable.

EDT: my mother prefers the really, really thin noodles. So they're about a sixteenth of an inch and square-tipped, and it's really, really hard to get the dryness right for that. She doesn't have nearly as much of an issue if she makes the 1/16"x1/4" ones.

x2. My mother has a noodle machine/cutter/roller. The dough sticks to it, and it's not fun to clean, but it does make nice, thin noodles.
If the dough is sticking to the cutter, you need to add more flour till it quits sticking. When the cutter Mfr includes a basic recipe for pasta dough, it's a ball park guess based on conditions at the Mfr. Plus there's no way to know the exact size eggs different people use. In a desert, the Mfr's recipe might be too dry, but down south in high humidity, you may have to add more flour. Hope this helps.

My go to for egg noodles.....

1&3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold water
1 teaspoon oil

Mix dry ingredients, (I mix my eggs, water and oil before adding them) add wet and stir with a fork just to incorporate it all.
Turn onto floured surface and kneed....I kneed only until a rollable consistency.
Roll thin (1/16th inch) cut 1/4" wide and then into 3" lengths.
It helps to divide the dough into quarters before rolling. It makes it more manageable.
This makes 1 pound pasta.
If freezing dry it for an hour then freeze for up to 8 months.

Cook this about ten minutes then test it by cutting a noodle in half. If it has a white line in the middle it needs more time.

:drool Turkey and noodles. :drool

Last edited:
My go to for egg noodles.....

1&3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold water
1 teaspoon oil

Mix dry ingredients, (I mix my eggs, water and oil before adding them) add wet and stir with a fork just to incorporate it all.
Turn onto floured surface and kneed....I kneed only until a rollable consistency.
Roll thin (1/16th inch) cut 1/4" wide and then into 3" lengths.
It helps to divide the dough into quarters before rolling. It makes it more manageable.
This makes 1 pound pasta.
If freezing dry it for an hour then freeze for up to 8 months.

Cook this about ten minutes then test it by cutting a noodle in half. If it has a white line in the middle of needs more time.

:drool Turkey and noodles. :drool
Sounds like a good low-fat Egg Noodle recipe. I've made egg noodles with just yolks (no-whites) before that are delicious! I'll have to try putting a little oil in next time, might even be better than the old recipe! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom