Egg on the floor of coop.

downtownjb80

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 1, 2011
Newton Aycliffe
Every so often I go to let my chickens out for the day and one of them has laid an egg on the floor of the coop. I have a few who lay their eggs before it gets light, but they all lay in one nest box with another one spare. Once every few weeks their is an egg laid on the floor in the middle of the coop. Why doesn't she lay in the other box if one is full? And isn't the middle of the coop a bit too public for her?

Once in a blue moon one of my girls will do the same thing and my nest to hen ratio is 1 to 4. I don't know why they do it but I think it's normal. Maybe it's a sudden urge, a moment of confusion... who knows? It happens so infrequently that it doesn't bother me. Wish I could offer something wise but that's all I have.

Flock dynamics might have caused your lady to put her egg on the floor. No cause for alarm.

I used to have a hen who would drop her egg wherever she happened to be. In the yard free ranging, while standing in a puddle.....yea. Occasionally I'll find an egg on the floor of the coop, usually when I let them out in the morning. Usually its an egg from a newish layer. I think its normal. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom