Egg Pipped/Cracked in middle.....

Yes, that's why this pip is also the internal pip? Did you take it out of the incubator to candle? The incubator should not be opened if there is a pipped egg because it will let all of the humidity out and shrink-wrap them. Then they'll have to be assisted, which ends up becoming a whole mess.
I had to open the incubator, to add more warm water as the humidity had fallen to 58%. So he candled it quickly while I added water to the reservoirs. Been having a hard time keeping the humidity up now. Before I couldn't keep it down, now I can't seem to keep it up high enough. I even have a moist cloth in there as well right below the heat element. :/

I had to open the incubator, to add more warm water as the humidity had fallen to 58%. So he candled it quickly while I added water to the reservoirs. Been having a hard time keeping the humidity up now. Before I couldn't keep it down, now I can't seem to keep it up high enough. I even have a moist cloth in there as well right below the heat element. :/
Ok. What I do is fill a mist bottle with hot water, and mist the eggs a few times. Don't drench them, just a fine mist. You'll have to open the incubator to do it, but it should be fine.

Ok. What I do is fill a mist bottle with hot water, and mist the eggs a few times. Don't drench them, just a fine mist. You'll have to open the incubator to do it, but it should be fine.
Okay I will do that when/if the humidity falls again. We are also thinking about adding a new clean dampened sponge.

Okay I will do that when/if the humidity falls again. We are also thinking about adding a new clean dampened sponge.
I would definitely add a new clean sponge. You could cut it into 4 and put them in different spots in your incubator. I did this so humidity was more even. I also my last hatch had a side pipper and although I did assist in the end he/she made really good progress with pushing and cracking shell apart. So your chick may hatch fine😊Mine could not rotate and actually was stuck to the shell by one wing so I was pleased I did help. But I only helped after 30 hours approx. I wish you luck.

I would definitely add a new clean sponge. You could cut it into 4 and put them in different spots in your incubator. I did this so humidity was more even. I also my last hatch had a side pipper and although I did assist in the end he/she made really good progress with pushing and cracking shell apart. So your chick may hatch fine😊Mine could not rotate and actually was stuck to the shell by one wing so I was pleased I did help. But I only helped after 30 hours approx. I wish you luck.
Thank you so much for the words of wisdom and inspiration. I'm so thankful for such great people here to help guide us.

So now this, and humidity is at 61%. Is it ok for the membrane to be against the sponge so it doesn't dry out and shrink wrap? Or do I need to quickly pull the sponge away and just have it near the egg? The piece of shell is off now about the size of a dime, and it has poked a teeney tiny split in the membrane. Still peeping and moving. LoL the wonders of mother nature! Ugghh I didn't read up on malpositioned chicks ahead of time! Every day is a learning experience here.

Sponge against egg membrane.

Attachments

• 20200811_144151.jpg
    20200811_144151.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 18
So now this, and humidity is at 61%. Is it ok for the membrane to be against the sponge so it doesn't dry out and shrink wrap? Or do I need to quickly pull the sponge away and just have it near the egg? The piece of shell is off now about the size of a dime, and it has poked a teeney tiny split in the membrane. Still peeping and moving. LoL the wonders of mother nature! Ugghh I didn't read up on malpositioned chicks ahead of time! Every day is a learning experience here.
I don't think it should be touching the membrane. Just have it near the egg. Read this article if you haven't already. Read the whole thing. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Back
Top Bottom