Egg Price Profiteering Where You Live Due To Coronovirus?

:lau I live on a lake, and as such, have boats, motors, and docks. All that expense with maintenance and licenses for fishing, I expect my fish cost me about $50.00 per pound! But that is largely due to my age and really not fishing as much as I used to when younger.
My family and I use 75% or more wild game meat for our meals. We mix in occasionally pork or beef and of course chickens. Venison comprises the majority of the meat we consume along with wild Turkey, rabbit, and squirrels. I spend about $300 a year on licensing and equipment but 1 deer oays for that. I need to get 5 deer/yr to have enough meat to make it until the next season opens.
Its Turkey and merkel (Morrell mushroom) season now and thankfully I am having some luck early.

Attachments

• 20200411_082132.jpg
    20200411_082132.jpg
    851.3 KB · Views: 3
Here's a link. I was afraid the texture would be off so I have only used them for baking, not direct eating like scrambled. I was going to freeze a few this week and see how they taste though
https://www.incredibleegg.org/eggcyclopedia/f/freezing-eggs/

Thanks for the link, which I read. I was hoping there was a way to freeze eggs that you could eat later - like fresh eggs. But, that article confirms that the texture of the frozen egg changes and frozen eggs are mainly good for baking.

FYI, this past winter, if I collected an egg too late and the shell was broken from freezing, I would crack the frozen egg into a bowl and let it thaw out overnight in the refridgerator. Then, the next morning, I would scramble it up - along with a few fresh eggs - and that worked out OK for me. The frozen egg yolks get chunky and need to be beaten pretty good so you don't taste chunks in your scrambled eggs. Another good use of those frozen eggs was to beat/blend up the frozen egg well and use it for making French Toast. I suppose using the frozen eggs as batter for anything would work as well.

Thanks for the link, which I read. I was hoping there was a way to freeze eggs that you could eat later - like fresh eggs. But, that article confirms that the texture of the frozen egg changes and frozen eggs are mainly good for baking.

FYI, this past winter, if I collected an egg too late and the shell was broken from freezing, I would crack the frozen egg into a bowl and let it thaw out overnight in the refridgerator. Then, the next morning, I would scramble it up - along with a few fresh eggs - and that worked out OK for me. The frozen egg yolks get chunky and need to be beaten pretty good so you don't taste chunks in your scrambled eggs. Another good use of those frozen eggs was to beat/blend up the frozen egg well and use it for making French Toast. I suppose using the frozen eggs as batter for anything would work as well.
Thanks, that's a good idea, mixing with fresh first. I might try that option too if I still get eggs in winter. Maybe an omelette with chunky stuff in it would be ok.

My family and I use 75% or more wild game meat for our meals. We mix in occasionally pork or beef and of course chickens. Venison comprises the majority of the meat we consume along with wild Turkey, rabbit, and squirrels. I spend about $300 a year on licensing and equipment but 1 deer oays for that. I need to get 5 deer/yr to have enough meat to make it until the next season opens.
Its Turkey and merkel (Morrell mushroom) season now and thankfully I am having some luck early.

Very nice picture. My grandfather was an avid hunter who stocked the freezer with venison, ducks, geese, rabbits, and, of course, fish. He enjoyed hunting and it was a way of life for him. As most other hunters of his generation, he was the first to support conservation efforts to ensure that wildlife had the opportunity to thrive. He taught me never to shoot anything I was not going to eat. Although I lived in another town and never really had the chance to go out hunting with him when I got older, I would spend the summers with my grandparents and we went out fishing almost every day. Good times.

Instead of hunting animals, I found my path in life was to raise small animals when I had the chance. I have raised rabbits, ducks, geese, meat chickens, and now laying hens. I have enjoyed it all. I don't have a problem with harvesting my small animals, but truth be told, I prefer raising laying hens because I can just collect their eggs to eat. I could not have imagined a time when the local egg shelves would be empty, but here we are. Dear Wife is thankful for our daily fresh eggs and it was about the only thing that was not on her panic buying list.

I just found this very interesting thread and read through all 13 pages, whew! 😆 We have 18 hens, some retired. We are getting 12-15 eggs a day right now. Have been selling our excess to a couple of ladies on fixed incomes for $1/doz for quite some time and saw store prices ranging from $.77 to $3.98, marking empty shelves. We will not raise our prices. We never "break even" on expenses and don't expect to. The chickens are primarily tick control. They are also joy, therapy, peace. You can't put a price on that! Sometimes we get more eggs than our customers can use. Then we give them to relatives who seem happy to get them but don't ask, offer to pay, or go out of their way for them. It's all good. We just don't want them to go to waste. I like what that one poster said about the eggs being a gift. True that. So, as long as we can pass it on, we will. We are no longer able to share through our church, so.... just doing what we can. This too shall pass.

Hello BigBlueHen53. I traveled to the Baker Creek seed festival last year and was sad when they cancelled this year, and sadder still when the website wasn’t taking new orders. You live in a gorgeous part of the world!

Hello BigBlueHen53. I traveled to the Baker Creek seed festival last year and was sad when they cancelled this year, and sadder still when the website wasn’t taking new orders. You live in a gorgeous part of the world!

Thank you. I'm not very familiar with that part of the state. Parts of Colorado and Northwest New Mexico were my home for most of my life. I'm still getting accustomed to this land of forest and rain! :gig

When I went with friends last year, we were watching “time advance “ as when we were there, the daffodils were already spent, when back home it was still snowing! It was a super late spring. We all have fond memories of the Ozarks.

When I went with friends last year, we were watching “time advance “ as when we were there, the daffodils were already spent, when back home it was still snowing! It was a super late spring. We all have fond memories of the Ozarks.

One thing I do love about this area is all the blossoms! It starts in early spring with what the locals call "Easter lilies," but I have always known as daffodils. And I never knew how many varieties there are! I gave a lady nine different types from my front yard a few weeks ago. Then the crocus, Bartlett pears, forsythia, redbud, cherry trees, iris, lilies, tulips, crape myrtle (later)... really more than i can name! It's like a never-ending roll of blooms, one doesn't end before another begins, a regular symphony of color. It's certainly like nothing I ever experienced in the desert, lol.

Back
Top Bottom