Egg Production/Excessive Hot Weather

ellyn

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
We have been having some pretty warm days and I seem NOT to be getting as many eggs and my girls are eating less.
Does hot weather effect egg production?

What's been the experience out there?

Thanks --

We had over a hundred degrees yesterday, and my girls didn't eat a single bit of food. They drank about 10 gallons of water and only laid 5 of the usual 12 eggs I get a day. I say yes, heat does affect them.

We have been having some pretty warm days and I seem NOT to be getting as many eggs and my girls are eating less.
Does hot weather effect egg production?

What's been the experience out there?

Thanks --
Where are you at? Mine are not at the age for laying yet but I have some great ways to keep them cooler. A few awesome people on here gave me the idea to throw frozen veggies on the ground during the hottest part of the day. They will eat them slowly and it has been working for me. Also, I just put a trash can lid in the middle of the run and filled it with water from my water cooler for them to walk in. Make sure they have shade also! mine have been outside going on a week in 100+ degrees. Today will be 115 degrees and I will be checking on them often. I'm sure if they stay cool then they will lay better. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom