Egg production going up?

Lesa

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
Upstate NY
I am in the middle of a freezing, snowy winter here in upstate NY. My chickens are doing very well in an insulated coop with no heat or extra light. Amazingly, right after we hit the shortest day, I started seeing an increase in egg laying...I have 24 RIR's, by December 21st I was getting just over a dozen eggs a day. Today I had 18, and I wouldn't be surprised at another egg or two when I close them up tonight. I am really pleased. Not sure if it will decrease again- we still have plenty of winter left. Also, right around that time we built a "sunroom" addition on the coop. Now, the girls can get out into the dirt and air, no matter how awful the weather. Maybe happier chickens really do lay more eggs! Anyone else notice more eggs, since Dec 21st?

I do! I was lucky if I'd get an egg every other day from my 5 who are of age. Now I'm getting 2-4 a day! and my little d'uccle laid her first today!

Welcome! where in upstate are you?

The same thing is happening down here in the south -- all summer I was lucky to get 6-7 eggs a day from my 13 girls, now I'm getting the 8-9 that I should have gotten when there was more daylight and warmth..... go figure.
hmm.png

Make that, 10.

Last edited:
I've noticed a similar issue, however, it seems to be connected more with temperature than with day length. On the really frigid days (-12 w/wind chill) we've had recently I'll get 15-16 eggs (from 20 hens) per day. Over the last few days, where we've had 30 to even high 40s, I've gotten 20 eggs per day. No change in food, even the cold days were sunny, etc.

hu.gif

Just a guess, but I'll take it!

-Christian

Last edited:
I'm confused. If an egg is ready to be laid, doesn't the hen need to get it out?
Also, how could a cold day affect egg laying so quickly? I thought an egg started forming 3 days before it is layed. Wouldn't there be a delay in the time it takes for a cold day to cause a lack of egg laying?
I guess I must have misunderstood about that.

I'm not sure that the effects of cold weather would be realized the same day. However, cold weather usually lasts for a few days.

The infundibulum of the oviduct picks up the yolk released by the ovary and sometimes, it misses. The yolk is then reabsorbed into the body. This is fairly common with new layers and is a problem I bet can be caused by stress.

Sometimes the yolks don't fully form in the ovary and the nutrients are reabsorbed. More often, the yolks never even start to form. Most of a hen's oocytes never develop into an egg. There are a several thousand and the hen cannot lay so many in a lifetime, even an extended lifetime.

Once the yolk is in the oviduct, it takes about 24 hours for it to develop into an egg and arrive in the nest.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom