Egg production lately

I have raised chickens 7 years, we use heat in their roost and light set on a timer in their coop. The reason I came on here is to do a search on declining egg production. In 7 years we have never had low egg production during the winter. 17 of my 25 hens are under 2 years of age. We only get 3 eggs a day lately. We were feeding TSC Dumor but bought different brand this week. My hens free range on our property and we supplement with chicken feed. They have plenty of seed from grasses and such planted on property but they still eat a lot of chicken feed. They forage in a field that had corn harvested last fall.
I have no idea why egg production dropped, especially since most my current hens are young. 3 years ago our hens were aprox. 4 and kept laying. Our 2 old hens from our 1st group still lay but not every day.
It is puzzling for sure.

Everything is normal here. I hatch or buy new chicks every spring to make sure I have new layers in the winter to pick up the slack from those that are molting and taking a winter break. I also sell my older layers before they turn 3 years old. Always a rotation going on. That being said, I don’t use TSC feed but I must agree there has to be some logical explanation. A friend mentioned this to me just last week. I’m assuming she saw it on FB or the like. Now, suddenly, several threads on that very subject have popped up.

Everything is normal here. I hatch or buy new chicks every spring to make sure I have new layers in the winter to pick up the slack from those that are molting and taking a winter break. I also sell my older layers before they turn 3 years old. Always a rotation going on. That being said, I don’t use TSC feed but I must agree there has to be some logical explanation. A friend mentioned this to me just last week. I’m assuming she saw it on FB or the like. Now, suddenly, several threads on that very subject have popped up.
I have raised chickens 7 years, we use heat in their roost and light set on a timer in their coop. The reason I came on here is to do a search on declining egg production. In 7 years we have never had low egg production during the winter. 17 of my 25 hens are under 2 years of age. We only get 3 eggs a day lately. We were feeding TSC Dumor but bought different brand this week. My hens free range on our property and we supplement with chicken feed. They have plenty of seed from grasses and such planted on property but they still eat a lot of chicken feed. They forage in a field that had corn harvested last fall.
I have no idea why egg production dropped, especially since most my current hens are young. 3 years ago our hens were aprox. 4 and kept laying. Our 2 old hens from our 1st group still lay but not every day.
It is puzzling for sure.

It is puzzling for sure.
Yes, this is what I've heard a little bit about on FB threads. I only have 1 out of 5 laying, but she's the only one that didn't molt. So far I'm still thinking that's it. Last year they all started back up in February. I do feed DuMOR all flock and supplement with calcium and vitamins, and black soldier fly larvae. They free range on 5 acres when we're here to watch them. So we'll see what happens in February! Thank you for your input!

Same Erinnlyn. First molts too. My 5 stopped laying in Oct.! All are finally finished molting. I actually got TWO eggs this week which is great. Days are a bit longer and the weather is perfect for CT winter. Good luck
I do not feed Dumor. I use Natures Best Organic feed from TSC.

Thank you, I haven't seen anything on FB but I have a small group, mainly just family.
When I was talking to my sister, who is in Texas, this week I told her the hens weren't laying and she said neither were her neighbors that she usually buys eggs from. It was the first time I'd heard anyone else was having problems. I don't know any locals who have hens now to ask them.

Mine slowed down but never stopped. I switched from organic Purina too a local feed three months ago. I have three year olds, two year olds and two pullets.

My neighbors 40 chickens are barely laying, 2 eggs or less a day, they have them on the cheapest feed at the store. The just bought feed from the same feed mill I switched to. She said that the hens are eating it with more gusto. I'll post here if she tells me she sees improvement.

If your birds are starving to death, then I would expect less eggs due to feed. Reproduction in all animals will shut down, or even abort in mammals with a starvation. But if you are feeding anything, and your chickens have good feathers, bright eyes and are active this is not the issue.

Often times people post on here very rigid ideas about feed, and a common question is: "WHAT are you feeding?" As in the proper feed will fix anything. Adequate amounts of feed is important, but certain % of protein, not any scratch...not too much scraps needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Don't any of these people eat potatoes chips?

I have had chickens for years, and I always post in Facebook my first eggs after the molt and break. In the memories it comes up, one year - Jan 6! Yay! One year, Jan 14, one year Jan 26, and one year Feb 4....

All is do to the amount of sunlight, and the intensity of sunlight. Cloudy days have a much bigger influence on setting it back. This year, I am still waiting. But a few neighbors are getting some, I MUST be getting close.

They are not machines, we have to wait.

Mrs K

If your birds are starving to death, then I would expect less eggs due to feed. Reproduction in all animals will shut down, or even abort in mammals with a starvation. But if you are feeding anything, and your chickens have good feathers, bright eyes and are active this is not the issue.

Often times people post on here very rigid ideas about feed, and a common question is: "WHAT are you feeding?" As in the proper feed will fix anything. Adequate amounts of feed is important, but certain % of protein, not any scratch...not too much scraps needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Don't any of these people eat potatoes chips?

I have had chickens for years, and I always post in Facebook my first eggs after the molt and break. In the memories it comes up, one year - Jan 6! Yay! One year, Jan 14, one year Jan 26, and one year Feb 4....

All is do to the amount of sunlight, and the intensity of sunlight. Cloudy days have a much bigger influence on setting it back. This year, I am still waiting. But a few neighbors are getting some, I MUST be getting close.

They are not machines, we have to wait.

Mrs K
My birds are far from starving to death! They have healthy, shiny feathers, red combs and full round shape. Lots of people remark on how beautiful my hens are. Their chicken feeder is filled, plenty of water along with acres of land with variety of plants and grasses for seeds. I have watched them chase and catch huge dragonflies along with other bugs clear up to snow fall. Catch small snakes, mice and I once found a crawdad that was torn apart, not sure what did that. The coup is within the horse pasture and they scratch to their hearts content. Even in the neighbor's field. Only one molted this year and she didn't lose all her feathers just enough to make her look scraggly. Nov. 2021 is when they molted and it was during a cold snap! Running around with hardly any feathers in the snow, I got cold watching them.
The light we use in the "run" area of the coup is for natural light.
It is odd that when egg prices are currently so high egg production has slowed because it would be nice to be able to sell eggs right now.
As for your comment about "not machines we have to wait" that is not true when supplemented with heat and light. How do you think eggs are sold year round? Not all of us are raising pets, thank you very much!

We have had TWO days with appreciable sunlight since the year began. I'm slow and sluggish too. I keep thinking that every dozen eggs I buy at the store will be the last one. I probably gotta buy at least one more.

Back
Top Bottom