Egg quality.

ButtonNomies

Songster
Jul 17, 2022
Hi I'm just wondering if healthier birds eggs feel different to those that are less healthy?

Example, I had some button hatching eggs sent to me, in the hopes I can hatch out a cinnamon baby to add to my group. The eggs were quite dirty and felt rough. A few were already cracked and damaged but I expected as much with the going through the post. All in all I have about 7 viable eggs out of 12.

My own birds have just started laying eggs this week, and I've noticed a massive difference in the feel of the shells. Mine almost feel polished.

Is there a health indication in this? My babies are fed on a specifically made food for buttons. The also get mealworms and the emptied fried remains from my fly zapper (mostly moths) They have a seperate container of oystershell grit to help themselves to as and when they need it and they have weekly diatomaceous earth baths made available to them.

Should the eggs be that polished? Or should they be rough feeling like the shipped eggs or does the rough eggshell point towards possible unhealthy chicks?

TIA ❤

Pik of Bath time 😂

Attachments

• 20220829_142114.jpg
    20220829_142114.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 3
Hi I'm just wondering if healthier birds eggs feel different to those that are less healthy?

Example, I had some button hatching eggs sent to me, in the hopes I can hatch out a cinnamon baby to add to my group. The eggs were quite dirty and felt rough. A few were already cracked and damaged but I expected as much with the going through the post. All in all I have about 7 viable eggs out of 12.

My own birds have just started laying eggs this week, and I've noticed a massive difference in the feel of the shells. Mine almost feel polished.

Is there a health indication in this? My babies are fed on a specifically made food for buttons. The also get mealworms and the emptied fried remains from my fly zapper (mostly moths) They have a seperate container of oystershell grit to help themselves to as and when they need it and they have weekly diatomaceous earth baths made available to them.

Should the eggs be that polished? Or should they be rough feeling like the shipped eggs or does the rough eggshell point towards possible unhealthy chicks?

TIA ❤
Super interesting observation! I have no idea but hopefully someone else can shed some light and we can all learn something new!
I have coturnix and their eggs have small textural variations, but nothing that's ever caused me any alarm or indicated to me that there's an issue with the health of the birds. But the difference doesn't sound as drastic as yours.. do they feel more brittle? Is the roughness from white calcification (do they look dusty?)? Those to me are obvious signs that something's amiss, but that's about as much input as I can give on the matter!

I know right? Normally I wouldn't notice but I paid attention as its their first eggs so wanted to make sure my girls aren't lacking anything now theyre laying. There is texture to them but they're also silky smooth to the touch, whereas the posted eggs felt very gritty like sandpaper. I wasn't all together impressed by them tbh. Maybe the difference was easy to spot because I was looking for it?

Or maybe I'm just biased in thinking my guys eggs look like pretty jewels?

Maybe I'm just weird 😂😂
20220826_213132.jpg

I know right? Normally I wouldn't notice but I paid attention as its their first eggs so wanted to make sure my girls aren't lacking anything now theyre laying. There is texture to them but they're also silky smooth to the touch, whereas the posted eggs felt very gritty like sandpaper. I wasn't all together impressed by them tbh. Maybe the difference was easy to spot because I was looking for it?

Or maybe I'm just biased in thinking my guys eggs look like pretty jewels?

Maybe I'm just weird 😂😂View attachment 3241146
They do look super pretty! Maybe if you post a photo of the two side by side for comparison some more wisened member can help out.
Coturnix eggs have wide colour/pattern variation so I suppose it's also not super noticeable when their eggs are different - are buttons all the same olive colour or do they vary as well? That's another clue, I'd say!

They do look super pretty! Maybe if you post a photo of the two side by side for comparison some more wisened member can help out.
Coturnix eggs have wide colour/pattern variation so I suppose it's also not super noticeable when their eggs are different - are buttons all the same olive colour or do they vary as well? That's another clue, I'd say!
I only currently have 2 females, my white lays those olive eggs and my silver lays brown speckled eggs. But the eggs in the bator are all mixed colours too. Button eggs vary a lot too. 😂

The bottom 2 of the far right column are from my girls. U can see the others are quite dirty, I waxed a couple of the lesser cracked ones but I doubt they'll progress. Xx
20220830_134007.jpg

I have had buttons. The eggs are usually smooth. They can get rough if their pen isn't kept clean enough. I think what you saw is more a statement on how the birds were kept. I wouldn't order from them again.

I've had to throw half of them out today as a week in the bator and candling and only 4 have developed the rest still had moving darkened yolks with blood rings 😒

On a brighter note I popped the first 2 eggs laid by my girls into the bator just in case and 5 days in n we have definate veining when candled 😳😳 Didn't think they'd be fertile yet but seems my boys are ON IT ... Randy lil dumplings 🤣🤣 fingers crossed they develop all the way. Im excited to see what comes from those eggs 😁

Back
Top Bottom