Egg refrigerator outside - will cold temps kill it?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nutso, Nov 5, 2010.

1. nutso

nutso Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2009
    Kingston Springs, TN
    This is the first winter that I'm selling my eggs on a 'self-serve' basis where my customers pre-pay and I leave them their eggs in a small fridge that is outside. It is on an open porch that has a roof. It's going down to the mid-20's tonight and I read that these type temps will kill a fridge by doing something to the freon.

Anyhow, I took my eggs out for tomorrows customers since I was afraid they would be frozen in the night and unplugged the fridge.

Anyone have some insight to share with me? This self-serve system has been terrific for all of us - I hate to go back to having to meet my customers at specific times during the winter months [not that my customers are anything but wonderful - it's just very confining to have to make 'egg dates.']

Thanks.

2. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Yes, below freezing temps will kill a fridge.

Ask me how I know? [​IMG]

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It depends upon the make and model. I was concerned about our upright freezer and refrigerator in the garage last winter, with temps down to about 0F in the garage, so I kept a close eye on them. They both worked fine. Your mileage may vary. If you have the owner's manual or can contact the manufacturer they may be able to shed some light on it.

4. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    Same with me.

Lost a refrigerator to freezing, but I've heard that some are fine with below freezing temps.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Mine in the unheated garage is ok in the winter. If you're worried, shut it off.

6. debtrag

debtrag Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    North Central, Indiana
    I don't know about "killing" it but I do know that self-defrosting appliances do not work well in real cold temperatures. Self-defrosting refrigerators cool the fridge area from the flow over from the freezer. If the freezer does not run because of the temp, the fridge does not cool. On the flip side, if you turn the freezer up to keep it cooling, the eggs freeze. I know this from last winter's experience.

I pack my eggs for other people in styrofoam coolers that are used to ship vaccines from our County Health department (run by the State and ultimately the Federal Government). They throw these away daily, for biological reasons, the vaccines are sealed tightly and securely though. Check with them, they may be able to supply you. I also use these coolers to store water jugs in my unheated shed so I'm ready for morning when the temp gets frigid. The water never froze last winter, lets hope I get as lucky this winter. They are great coolers (2" thick sidewalls, top and bottom). It's a shame they don't reuse them or publically advertise and donate them for other people's use. The coolers go in our County dumpster, busted up, if someone does not grab them. So much for "reduce, reuse, recycle" by Government. I guess what is good for the goose is not good for the gander.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have a freezer that worked fine all last winter on our back porch. It's an older style one though. I manually defrost it in the fall by unplugging it and leaving the door open for a couple of days [​IMG]

Also, it wouldn't matter to me if it "froze" whatever was inside, because well, it's a freezer. It normally holds about 0*F in the summer, and slightly below that when it's not a million degrees outside. So I don't know if a fridge would freeze your stuff in the cold temps, coz my stuff is already frozen [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    100+ degree temps will also kill a fridge.

Voice of experience.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:My freezer must be related to the cockroaches then, coz it chuggalugged all summer long too. Or else yall just jinxed it and it'll decide to go out tomorrow [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:My freezer must be related to the cockroaches then, coz it chuggalugged all summer long too. Or else yall just jinxed it and it'll decide to go out tomorrow [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by