Egg shell found outside the run this morning

JessicaGrant

Songster
Jun 22, 2008
Western Mass
I read the list of predators and know it could be a number of things. It seems many of them (skunk, possum--and I know we have possums nearby) would also attack the hens, so I am guessing it may have been a rat. Any ideas on how to prevent this from becoming a regular occurrence? This is the first sign of any predation but I did expect more problems with the warmer weather. I am also concerned because I am expecting chicks later this week, from a broody hen who is out in the coop. Should I consider bringing my broody inside for the next few days or take the chicks as they hatch?

Are you planning on removing the chicks from the hen? I think I'd rather let the hen brood them rather than me having to do it.

I was going to bring them in. I live in Massachusetts and it is still awfully cold here. My coop is small and a bit drafty (having built it myself it hurts to say that, but there you go!) I could heat it but then there are the other hens to think about as well. If I bring the hen and eggs in now I am a little afraid the disturbance might cause her to abandon the nest.

hello, hows the hatch doing?? i hope some babies make it..
fl.gif

Quote:
I hope so too!! We are down to 6 eggs, but she is still setting and I have faith :) I have been too scared of the temps outside to try candling. Should know by the end of this week, and I'll let you know.

Thanks!!

Let your hen raise the babies. She will do a fine job, even though it is cold. I have allowed hens to raise chicks in 0 weather. The little ones come out from under "mom", grab a bite to eat, and scurry back under her. The hens know how to raise chicks better than a human ever will.

I guess you're sure it's one of your eggs? Around here I find pieces of eggshell all the time on our property. Sometimes it's a chicken egg from one of the free-rangers cruising through, or an egg from a pheasant or grouse. I also find that our barn cats bring eggs home from other sites, usually robin eggs or other wild birds, often whole.

If you suspect rats, check all around the run and coop for tunnels. Be especially cautious if you have a dirt floor in the coop or if the run is not bottomed with predator wire. If it is a rat, skunk (also dig) or possum, you will have to act on behalf of your chicks unless you can isloate and solve the problem. Night is a good time to check the area for any of these predators.

Back
Top Bottom