egg shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mimisissor, Mar 10, 2009.

1. mimisissor

mimisissor New Egg

Oct 31, 2008
    newbie here. i found an egg with what looked like a soft shell around a hard shell. is that normal

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Is the bird new to laying or older?

3. mimisissor

mimisissor New Egg

Oct 31, 2008
    started with 5. in november they were 5 months old. we had 3 laying all winter now 4 consistently and an occasional 5. not sure who laid the double shell

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It was probably a one time occurance. She may have started the laying process, got interrupted by something and then started again. You'll see all kinds of strange things as their bodies adjust to laying.
    If she's acting and eating normal I wouldn't worry.

5. mimisissor

mimisissor New Egg

Oct 31, 2008
    thanks for the answers. got another one this week. this time the egg on the out side was huge. i dont know how she got it out. it was the size of my hand it had a brittle shell and when i broke it open it had like egg white and then a perfectly good normal sized egg inside. these eggs were found in the barn not the coup. anyone seen this before?

6. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Hope you took a pic of that. Would love to see it!!! Way cool.[​IMG]

7. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    have you been giving you hens a calcium supplement like oyster shell? and have you been giving them scratch? (old veggies, bread crumbs...)

8. mimisissor

mimisissor New Egg

Oct 31, 2008
    i took a few pictures with my cell phone be glad to send them to anyone interested. i dont know how to put them from phone to pc. and yes they have oyster shells readily available and i give them reg. scrath and kitchen scraps like vegies.

9. mimisissor

mimisissor New Egg

Oct 31, 2008
    [​IMG]i think this might work. i tried to up load the picture if the large egg, my hands are kinda long ive been told i have piano hands so i hope you can see how big the egg is and mind you inside this egg was a normal sized hard shelled egg

10. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    hmm. when i was younger i had chickens do that once in a blue moon. idk, i guess it's the same deal as double-yolkers. all eggs can't be perfect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by