Egg song from a rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stcroixusvi, Oct 12, 2011.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I swear I saw our head rooster singing the egg song. He was perched outside the nesting boxes where 2 hens were laying, and he distinctly said, bawk bawk bawk bawk baGAWK bawk bawk. I kid you not!

2. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

We used to have a rooster that seemed to notice whenever a hen did the egg song. His response sounded like "Someone layed an egg!" Perhaps it has to do with fertility and flock bonding. But I think our former rooster squacked about eggs being layed, but by the hens.

Our new guy doesn't seem to give a darn one way or another.

3. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    Quote:That is exactly what my rooster has started to do!! He's 7 months old.

4. sky king

sky king Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Rome GA
    Omg my light Brama rooster Aka te situation lol. Does the same thing when my buff AKa. Buffy the vamp slayer lays an egg but she is the only one that makes him sing he egg song

5. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    My huge light sussex, Hughey, always joins in when one of his girls sings the egg song. His crow is ridiculously weak for such a big guy ([​IMG] ), but he can sure sing that egg song!

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:One of mine will do this when the hens start their egg songs. My two banty hens just started laying so I'm not sure if he is just excited or what but I've never had a rooster that does that. The banty rooster and banty hens are all about 20 weeks old and the two hens started laying this week. I saw the rooster bawking yesterday right after the hens layed.[​IMG]

7. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Maybe we should set him up with my crowing hen? [​IMG]

8. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Both my roos sing along with the hens that are in the laying boxes. Its almost like they're checking in to see that everything is okay.

9. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    My oldest roo does the same thing! he actually started a couple weeks before the hens started laying.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My dominant roo, Carl, has always joined the ladies in the Egg Song Chorus. Sometimes when somebody starts it, he will join in from out in the yard, and sometimes he will be right there next to the gal who has just laid her egg. A couple of my roosters have been known to get in the nest box with new layers, or in ahead of them to coax them into the next box to lay. After she lays her egg, then they announce the good news to everybody, singing the Egg Song.

It's really not that unusual, but it sure is adorable to watch (and hear). That is, of course, if you like to hear roosters crowing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by