Egg stuck in membrane outside vent. Help!

Great job on getting the egg out. Calcium can help the muscles contract. I would go ahead and let her eat her normal chicken feed. You can temporarily stop laying by placing her in the dark for 16 hours a day, and letting her have 8 hours to walk around eat, and scratch. Certain vets can give a hormone supralorin, to stop laying for 4-6 months.

I see this is a Friday post, so I'm guessing you've been to the vet, already. I really hope she survived. I know nothing about this type of prolapse, but if I ever needed to keep a bird quiet overnight, I'd put a hood on it, and keep it in a dark spot away from other birds and noise. I'd definitely keep the prolapsed tissues wet and lubricated, until arriving at the veterinary clinic.
Did she make it?
Yes!! She is doing well. She spent the night and day inside and got plenty of lube. By Saturday afternoon she seemed restless and energetic and by that time any visible evidence of her trauma was gone. I put her back with her lady friends for the night. We have checked on her 3 times this morning and continue to lube. Her vent looks completely normal, but I won't feel comfortable until she lays her next egg. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.

Yes!! She is doing well. She spent the night and day inside and got plenty of lube. By Saturday afternoon she seemed restless and energetic and by that time any visible evidence of her trauma was gone. I put her back with her lady friends for the night. We have checked on her 3 times this morning and continue to lube. Her vent looks completely normal, but I won't feel comfortable until she lays her next egg. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.
I'm so very happy to hear this! Made my day. Have a hen who's "under the weather" too, right now. Nothing as serious as your hen, though, but she's unusually quiet, and...sneezing. She's my fave, of course, and, well respiratory issues are definitely something to watch out for. Keeping an eye on her, for now, she's still eating and drinking ok, will check on her before and after work, tomorrow.

I'm so very happy to hear this! Made my day. Have a hen who's "under the weather" too, right now. Nothing as serious as your hen, though, but she's unusually quiet, and...sneezing. She's my fave, of course, and, well respiratory issues are definitely something to watch out for. Keeping an eye on her, for now, she's still eating and drinking ok, will check on her before and after work, tomorrow.
I'm sorry to read about your hen being unwell. Hopefully she makes a full recovery asap. Have a wonderful day at work tomorrow

Thank you, Heather.
I really hope so, too! It's my fave hen, of course, Aussie "Adelaide". Funny how easy it is to become attached, I knew better than to name them;).
On a positive note, her eyes are bright and clear, as are her nostrils.
I hope you have a wonderful week!

Thank you, Heather.
I really hope so, too! It's my fave hen, of course, Aussie "Adelaide". Funny how easy it is to become attached, I knew better than to name them;).
On a positive note, her eyes are bright and clear, as are her nostrils.
I hope you have a wonderful week!
Oh my I'm so sorry. My daughter (9yrs old) has decided that we're no longer allowed to have favorites after losing two of our most precious favorite girls. She says aloud, "_____ is my LEAST favorite" or "I don't like _____" but then will go whisper to them "you're actually my favorite and I love you". It's so difficult whenever it's your favorite and it seems like the favorites always have the worst luck. We grow from all of it no matter the outcome. I can't imagine life without chickens and ducks and hope I never have to.

It sounds like she is in excellent hands. My prolapsed hen happens to be my favourite too. I hope that everything works out fine with your fave. People outside of this community truly don't understand the attachment and concern that we in this community have for our chickens. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom