Egg stuck in membrane outside vent. Help!

I'm not sure if its prolapsed or if this membrane is something else. Should see yry to massage it back in. I'm worried we might break the egg and cause more issues.

Hey all. We got the egg out. It took a whole lot of massaging, oiling and patience but she looks a lot better. You have all been wonderful. Thanks so much for taking the time on a Friday night to lend your thoughts and support. Love you all.:love

For the most part, yes. It just looks swollen and sore now.
Nice job and getting the egg out!
Is all the prolapsed tissue inside of her? If not, then keep it moist, you don't want that drying out. You can use honey, anti-inflammatory cream, prep H, etc. - whatever you have to keep tissue moist.

I would work on getting her hydrated and get Calcium into her. Caltrate with D3 or in a pinch you can give Tums. Calcium helps with retention and contractions.
If she's really swollen, let her rest, but warm epsom salts soaks can also help reduce some swelling. Only give her soaks if she's alert and not in distress.

Heather (@HeatherKellyB ) What a Cheerleader! So sweet of you to hang in there with the OP and give support🤗

Nice job and getting the egg out!
Is all the prolapsed tissue inside of her? If not, then keep it moist, you don't want that drying out. You can use honey, anti-inflammatory cream, prep H, etc. - whatever you have to keep tissue moist.

I would work on getting her hydrated and get Calcium into her. Caltrate with D3 or in a pinch you can give Tums. Calcium helps with retention and contractions.
If she's really swollen, let her rest, but warm epsom salts soaks can also help reduce some swelling. Only give her soaks if she's alert and not in distress.

Heather (@HeatherKellyB ) What a Cheerleader! So sweet of you to hang in there with the OP and give support🤗
Thanks again for all of the sound advice. She is alert this morning, hungry and even started preening herself. We plan on keeping her inside with us for the day to keep an eye on her. I am crossing my fingers in hopes of her resisting the urge to lay another egg before she heals though. Don't want a repeat. She is pooping which I assume is a good sign.:celebrate:D

Oooops. I have fed her some nappa cabbage already. I'll pause on anything else though. Thought you might all want to see her looking better, so here is Queeny.
20210306_094227.jpg

Remember not to feed her for a while. She will be ok without food. You don't want her pooping either. Prep H does help.
Electrolytes, and a little sugar or molasses in her water would be good though. I wouldn’t fast her for too long though— 12 hours maybe? If you’ve already been feeding her, then pulling her feed at this point probably won’t accomplish anything.

The calcium supplement is crucial to helping her “laying” muscles contract properly, as well as making sure her shell gland can put on the eggshell in the proper time frame so that everything moves through & out on schedule. For some hens, even a minor deficiency can slow up the works, and cause problems. You can get Caltrate (or generic= Calcium Citrate) at any drug or grocery store. The citrate form is absorbed best, and quickest... if all you have are Tums, use those. Don’t wait. 1 Caltrate tab today, and 1/2 tab daily for the next 3 days. You can cut into pieces if needed for easier administration. (For Tums, I’d have to look it up — so ask back if that’s what you’ll use)

And x2 on the Prep H. The ointment is best, because you can get it smeared all around outside and even inside a bit. If it stresses her out too much, or grosses you out too much, PrepH also comes in suppository form, which will melt quickly after you pop it up inside and kinda ooze all over inside & out. The Prep H will reduce swelling and inflammation quickly. 1/2 of a regular aspirin or 2 baby aspirin would also be useful to reduce pain and inflammation— you should only need a single dose of aspirin.

It’s really important to keep her vent moist and lubed with something, even just Vaseline or mineral/baby oil is better than nothing... or if you have the silicone-based human adult-type lube (if you know what I mean...;)) that would be ok too... If she does have another egg moving through, there’s nothing you can do to stop it... and you don’t want to anyway. But you DO want to lube up the exit so that it can slide out as easily as possible.. Prep. H will accomplish both— reduce swelling/
inflammation, AND provide lubrication.

[Btw, anything water-based, like traditional k-y jelly, won’t help, because it will dry out & become sticky (which makes it great to use to “glue” bows into newborn’s hair, lol... just a dab’ll do ya!)...]

Electrolytes, and a little sugar or molasses in her water would be good though. I wouldn’t fast her for too long though— 12 hours maybe? If you’ve already been feeding her, then pulling her feed at this point probably won’t accomplish anything.

The calcium supplement is crucial to helping her “laying” muscles contract properly, as well as making sure her shell gland can put on the eggshell in the proper time frame so that everything moves through & out on schedule. For some hens, even a minor deficiency can slow up the works, and cause problems. You can get Caltrate (or generic= Calcium Citrate) at any drug or grocery store. The citrate form is absorbed best, and quickest... if all you have are Tums, use those. Don’t wait. 1 Caltrate tab today, and 1/2 tab daily for the next 3 days. You can cut into pieces if needed for easier administration. (For Tums, I’d have to look it up — so ask back if that’s what you’ll use)

And x2 on the Prep H. The ointment is best, because you can get it smeared all around outside and even inside a bit. If it stresses her out too much, or grosses you out too much, PrepH also comes in suppository form, which will melt quickly after you pop it up inside and kinda ooze all over inside & out. The Prep H will reduce swelling and inflammation quickly. 1/2 of a regular aspirin or 2 baby aspirin would also be useful to reduce pain and inflammation— you should only need a single dose of aspirin.

It’s really important to keep her vent moist and lubed with something, even just Vaseline or mineral/baby oil is better than nothing... or if you have the silicone-based human adult-type lube (if you know what I mean...;)) that would be ok too... If she does have another egg moving through, there’s nothing you can do to stop it... and you don’t want to anyway. But you DO want to lube up the exit so that it can slide out as easily as possible.. Prep. H will accomplish both— reduce swelling/
inflammation, AND provide lubrication.

[Btw, anything water-based, like traditional k-y jelly, won’t help, because it will dry out & become sticky (which makes it great to use to “glue” bows into newborn’s hair, lol... just a dab’ll do ya!)...]
Wow!!! I so appreciate this info. I am off now for some prep H and calcium, although she has been eating a layers mix of food, so I wouldn't expect her to be low on calcium. Her egg was very coarse in texture which had me think maybe she had toouch calcium but I truly don't know.

Egg is stuck outside hen in a bloody membrane. We have soaked in warm water and lubricated. Should we cut the membrane?
I see this is a Friday post, so I'm guessing you've been to the vet, already. I really hope she survived. I know nothing about this type of prolapse, but if I ever needed to keep a bird quiet overnight, I'd put a hood on it, and keep it in a dark spot away from other birds and noise. I'd definitely keep the prolapsed tissues wet and lubricated, until arriving at the veterinary clinic.
Did she make it?

Back
Top Bottom