Egg there but won't come out. How long does it take?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by azhenhouse, Jan 12, 2012.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    My duck has a prolapsed vent, and had stitches pulled out so that she could lay this egg inside her. She has been pushing, and pushing all day. I finally put her in a tub. Will this help or do I need to do more? You can totally see it start to come out when she pushes, but it doesn't quite make it. Help!

2. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Sorry I can't help but hope she has finally laid it. Someone with more knowledge should come along.. good luck

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She needs to be warm, and given lots of time in a warm tub, deep enough for her to float. Anything you can do to help her relax (given the way her week has been going, that might be challenging) will help.

4. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

If you can see it comeing out them maybe after the bath you could put some KY jelly or vasaline around her vent to lubricate her vent so it will be easier to push out? Good luck to your girl!!!

5. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I put her in a warm tub, and put vasaline (sp?) in and outside her bottom. Finally, sometime between 12:00am and 4:00am she laid an egg. Obviously this is the duck laying the double yoked eggs. The thing was gigantic! She is on a low protein diet so I hope that helps her stop laying such big eggs. Thanks.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Great news!!

7. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Wow, I feel sorry for the poor girl. I hope her new diet works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by