Egg thief

Amandabontrager

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2016
I live in Florida and something is taking my eggs, 16 at a time! I really don't think it's a person taking them as my coop is visible to me all day. It's also not something that would eat my chickens as they are fine. I don't think it's a snake because they are usually snatched at once (16!). I will let my chickens out in the afternoon after they lay, come back to get them in the evening and they will be gone...usually not trace ( I found she'll of one once). I am going to start taking the eggs as soon as I open coop to maybe "turn off" thief, but, I'm really curious what could be taking them.

Last edited:
Possibly a raccoon. Typically, they will steal eggs. And they tend to travel in groups when raiding.

Do you have any large snakes in your area? that can be a possibility. Although, Skunks are known for egg snatching. They pretty much rely on wild duck eggs to eat.

Just about anything can be stealing your eggs. With that many eggs getting gone you'd think your hens would sound the alarm. A raccoon would terrify the chickens and you hear the racket. A possum would terrify the chickens and you would hear the racket. A snake, however, can somehow charm a chicken into totally ignoring it while it devours eggs. The most eggs I've had taken by a snake was 5 at a time. And the only reason why I found her was because she had engorged to the point she could not fit between the wire to escape. I found her lying in the sand in the coop, sunning herself while the chickens went about her business as if nothing was amiss. If you have a snake taking 16 eggs at a time, I'd look where I was stepping before I entered the coop. Rats can take eggs but you will see rat droppings all over the place. You will also see other varmint droppings around your coop.

If you really want to find out what is stealing your eggs invest in a game camera.

I don't think it's a Skunk. Skunks are nocturnal, so are possums. So if it's light when your eggs are getting stolen, its likely not them.

Would rats steal them or eat them right there? I can't picture a rat gently taking that many eggs down from a nest and getting them out of the coop without signs of breakage. Is it possible???

Back
Top Bottom