Egg turner problem

chickenshiha

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
palestine
So I don't have time to turn my eggs by hand so I made a homemade egg turner using an egg carton and pointy end down and have a block to switch each side of the carton and I did it twice with about 20 eggs and when I come to candle on the first week I see some good and some bad and the good die after some days after candling . I made another turner with wood for the sides and hard wire under the eggs and PVC pipes to separate the rows and put the egg flat this time and same thing happens . what can I do

X2 Lauren, I would be suspicious of the temp. What brand of incubator are you using?Is it still air or forced air? Are you using a calibrated thermometer? actually, should be using a couple of thermometers to get an idea of the temp in different areas in the bator.
How are you measuring the temp, example: should have thermometer near the top of the egg, slightly below the top, not touching the egg or turner. This will give the best readings for the air temp, which should give a pretty good idea of the internal egg temp.
How often are you opening the bator? Opening too often and for extended periods of time will play havoc on the eggs.
Just some thoughts to ponder!

My inubator is those hexagon still air types . it hatched very good by hand turning all the eggs. And temp is always 88-97F and humidity is 45-65%. The turner is something I made and turn it by hand not automatic. I just don't have time to turn all the eggs by hand.

My inubator is those hexagon still air types . it hatched very good by hand turning all the eggs. And temp is always 88-97F and humidity is 45-65%. The turner is something I made and turn it by hand not automatic. I just don't have time to turn all the eggs by hand.

Sorry hon but your temp should be a constant 101F in a still air incubator so it might be that killing your eggs. You also need to turn your eggs a minimum of three times a day, preferably more and always in odd numbers so they do not go overnight in the same position on consecutive nights xxx

Sorry hon but your temp should be a constant 101F in a still air incubator so it might be that killing your eggs. You also need to turn your eggs a minimum of three times a day, preferably more and always in odd numbers so they do not go overnight in the same position on consecutive nights xxx
But my temp hatched the eggs just fine by hand turning. But not with the homemade turner

But my temp hatched the eggs just fine by hand turning. But not with the homemade turner

In which case, I would say your incubator thermometer must be completely inaccurate but thankfully in your favour. Temperatures of 88F just wouldn't lead to successful hatches so the reading must be wrong and your bator must be running pretty close to 101F. Lady luck must like you xxx :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom