Egg Turners

spinlouet

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2023
Hi, I am spinlouet, from Ohio. I have been hatching eggs for several years but have never used an egg turner. So I have questions there. Since egg turners are so outrageously expensive I was wondering if it would be possible to either make something on my own that would work or if I could use quail tracks for chicken/duck eggs? I hatch the chicks and a friend of mine houses them in her chicken coop.

Hi, I am spinlouet, from Ohio. I have been hatching eggs for several years but have never used an egg turner. So I have questions there. Since egg turners are so outrageously expensive I was wondering if it would be possible to either make something on my own that would work or if I could use quail tracks for chicken/duck eggs? I hatch the chicks and a friend of mine houses them in her chicken coop.
Welcome to BYC!! I’m no expert, but you could probably set a timer on your phone or something to tell you when to turn them manually if you want to do that?
(Or if turning manually is a good idea at all, you knowledgeable people :oops: )

What are "quail tracks"? Do you mean quail rails for a LG type turner, or?
If so no they won't work.
You may be able to make something depending how handy you are and what incubator you're using.
I've never made a auto turner myself but I've made a roller type thing to make hand turning quicker and easier.

haha, that is called reading without my glasses on, lol, Yes, I do mean quail rails. I have a little giant 6300. I am not handy in the slightest. I don't know if it is best to try a turner or just lay the eggs in the incubator and hand turn. Any advise is appreciated.

I've done both. I think I actually got slightly better hatch rates hand turning 3Xs a day.
I go with turners now just so I avoid keeping track of when to turn and actually doing it.

Back
Top Bottom