Help!! one egg in incubator hatching 6 days early????

HandyTandy

Hatching
Mar 8, 2024
So my eggs are not due to go into lockdown for 6 days. One is pipping. I have a hen on eggs due the same day as the incubator eggs. Can I put this one egg under her now. It's too soon for the rest to go into lockdown. And I don't want to stop the egg turner. What's a crazy chicken mama to do??? Please if your on answer quick.

If you put the one egg under her and it hatches, she will abandon the rest of the eggs after a couple of days. Maybe you can find a cheap incubator to finish off the pipping egg? That's a tricky situation. Hopefully others will have some good ideas to help you.

If you put the one egg under her and it hatches, she will abandon the rest of the eggs after a couple of days. Maybe you can find a cheap incubator to finish off the pipping egg? That's a tricky situation. Hopefully others will have some good ideas to help you.
Thank you for responding. Not sure if I should just let it hatch in there. Lots of prayer.🤟

yes it has a egg turner. Nurture Right 360. I've used it twice before and no problems.
I just looked it up, and I don't know if you have the room to try this.

I have a hovabator Genesis 1588 that I had an early chick just like you're experiencing and I took the pipped egg and put it in is own container on top of the egg turner so the others could keep rolling but the early bird wouldn't get its feet under the turning tray. It was a tall sided, longer container and fortunately I had the room as I only had about a dozen and a half eggs. That chick did amazingly well and actually ended up being top of the pecking order in the brooder while I had them before going back to the neighbor's whom I hatched the batch for.

I just looked it up, and I don't know if you have the room to try this.

I have a hovabator Genesis 1588 that I had an early chick just like you're experiencing and I took the pipped egg and put it in is own container on top of the egg turner so the others could keep rolling but the early bird wouldn't get its feet under the turning tray. It was a tall sided, longer container and fortunately I had the room as I only had about a dozen and a half eggs. That chick did amazingly well and actually ended up being top of the pecking order in the brooder while I had them before going back to the neighbor's whom I hatched the batch for.
Oh that's a great Idea! I'm going to try that. Thanks for this. Oh for the love of chickens. :)

Oh that's a great Idea! I'm going to try that. Thanks for this. Oh for the love of chickens. :)
I sure hope it works, just remember to be quick when you open that incubator, the humidity factor, I added a dampened paper towel if I remember right to the container so I didn't shrink wrap the pipped egg. It was last year, I know I had pictures of the whole thing but my old phone had a melt down and deleted a ton of random pictures, messages and phone numbers. 🤦🏽‍♀️ Technology, they said it'd be great.

Also, I added a "lid" made from that plastic mesh that you can use to make yarn crafts with. I have no idea what it's exactly called but I confiscated it from my daughter's craft box. That way the chick couldn't escape the container.

Please keep us posted and if anyone else has a greater idea I'd also love to hear it. My modification was kind of a panic set up 😂

Attachments

• JPEG_20240315_155643_974034193838995426.jpg
    JPEG_20240315_155643_974034193838995426.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom