1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg with just a yolk and no white in a soft shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kennybird37, Aug 25, 2011.

1. kennybird37

kennybird37 New Egg

May 4, 2011
    I was woundering if anyone has ever ran across one of your chickens that layed an egg with just a yolk and no white, with a real soft almost see through shell. I cant figure out wich one is laying it , I have 48 hens ! So I cant tell who it is. All the rest of my eggs are awesome and just fine! Thank You Kenny

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, I have had a fart egg with only a yolk, no white. You get all sorts of weird eggs, especially with new layers.

4. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Hi Kenny [​IMG]
    It's normal for newly laying pullets to have a glitch in the system, as they get older, things will smooth out. I would sometimes find a shell-less egg and a yolk on the poop board in the am. Hasn't happened in a while, my girls have just turned a yr old this summer.
    Hope that helps, I also never did figure out which of my 8 was the one doing it, so I doubt you'd figure out which of your 48 is doing it!

5. my peeps and me

my peeps and me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Plymouth MA
    My chicks just started laying, or at least one or two of them are.
    I got 1 egg Sunday,1 Monday
    Tues just a yolk, and no egg Wed
    today I received a perfect looking (mini)egg:[​IMG]

Can't wait for them all to start laying!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by