Egg Yolk Peritonitis?

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
My two year old Austra White looked a little less energetic yesterday and today she looks a little puffy. I don’t feel anything like an egg stuck although I didn’t go in - just palpated the outside. My whole flock has been incredibly lazy with laying this winter so her last egg was maybe four days ago (summer she’s daily). She isn’t molting, is fed organic layer feed, scratch for treat, free choice egg shells, and a spaghetti squash or corn now and again as a special snack.

None of the other girls are acting off. Haven’t seen worms or bugs, and no new flock members since May (got them as chicks in March / integrated in late May). Should I treat with Corid or do something else?

Attachments

• IMG_7305.jpeg
    IMG_7305.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7308.jpeg
    IMG_7308.jpeg
    606.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7309.jpeg
    IMG_7309.jpeg
    748.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7312.jpeg
    IMG_7312.jpeg
    473 KB · Views: 5
My girl was just diagnosed with egg yolk peritonitis and she had her head tucked in kind of how yours does but you could see she was having a hard time breathing. Lots of things can contribute to them not laying for a period of time so I wouldn't worry about that just yet I'd just be on the lookout for acting more lethargic, Isolating from the others, not eating.

The poo is a bit concerning, you could set up a hospital of sorts for her if you want to closely watch how much she's eating, if she's laying, how she behaves when away from the flock. I'd definitely try probiotics or yogurt to see what that does. I'd do this for a couple days and then reevaluate next steps.

She’s inside - gave her a calcium pill and 250mg of Fish Mox. She’s more lethargic and uninterested in food, even yogurt. 😥

Gave her Corid in yogurt last night and it’s in her water, but I don’t think it’s Cocci…

Attachments

• IMG_7318.jpeg
    IMG_7318.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7317.jpeg
    IMG_7317.jpeg
    450.6 KB · Views: 7
What's her diet and does she lay?
She’s fed organic layer feed, scratch for treat, free choice egg shells, and a spaghetti squash or corn now and again as a special snack.

She lays but the whole flock has been lazy this winter so none of them have been laying with any consistency. i don’t put extra light on them, and let them take a winter break. I haven’t found any soft shelled eggs or weird poop on the board until this started and then just her weird runny white poop.

She’s fed organic layer feed, scratch for treat, free choice egg shells, and a spaghetti squash or corn now and again as a special snack.

She lays but the whole flock has been lazy this winter so none of them have been laying with any consistency. i don’t put extra light on them, and let them take a winter break. I haven’t found any soft shelled eggs or weird poop on the board until this started and then just her weird runny white poop.
Hmm, sound fine. Have you ever wormed them?

Back
Top Bottom