eggbound?

Raycmaratea

Hatching
Feb 12, 2017
We have a large black ostrolap that seemed to be eggbound. She has a lump on her bottom that did seem hard and strains to seemingly lay an egg, But now after 4 baths in 2 days and some olive oil inserted the lump is soft, and I can't feel anything inside her. We have her separated and she seems ok otherwise but has laid no egg. She is eating and drinking. What should we think and do?

Welcome to BYC. So you have checked inside her vent with a finger an inch or so, and felt no egg? Has she been a normal layer up until now, or has she had any laying problems with soft or shell-less eggs? Is she pooping, and what does it look like? How old is she and when did she last lay an egg? There can be several problems such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, ascites or fluid in the belly, cysts or oviduct cancer that might cause swelling or an enlarged vent area. Pictures of her bottom might help.

She is not quite a year. With 9 hens in the coop it is difficult to know for sure, but we assume she has been laying eggs, but she hasn't now in the two days we have had her isolated. I felt nothing when inserting my finger, and she has pooped and it looked normal. She has been eating and drinking and outside of the pushing out that looks like she wants to lay an egg, she is acting normal except maybe broody.

I would keep her up for a bit more, and make sure that she is drinking well. Then she may be happier with her flock, and you can still keep an eye on her. Oh how I wish they could tell us what is wrong, LOL.

Is my hen eggbound? I have a black australorp and lately she has only been able to take a few steps then her tail drops and she lays down. It's gotten worse over night. She haven't really moved around the yard. Please help!

How old is she , and can you give us a little more information? Has she been eating or taking water? Has she been laying eggs recently, and has she had any problems with thin shelled or abnormal eggs? Can you insert a finger into her vent an inch or two to check for a stuck egg? Has she had any runny poops, or any that are yellowish like egg material? Sometimes it is hard to tell if they are egg bound or perhaps suffering from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Do you have crushed oyster shell available for her to take as she needs it?

Well she is about 2.5, she's been eating &a drinking fine, she hasn't payed and egg for about a week and a half? She has layer those weird squishy eggs in the past but none within the past year. About 2 months ago one of her sisters were taken and killed by a coyote. I have not yet tried to insert a finger yet but we have given her a 20 min Epsom salt bath and put olive oil in her vent to "lube it up" normal but small poops she did have like a creamy colored poop stuck to her feathers stuck to her butt feathers and yes our hens always have it available but I ground it up into a fine-ish powder and mixed it into her food with a little water so that way she gets the calcium. Right now she is away from our 1 brooding gen right now so if she is egg bound she has a peaceful , warm, quiet, and dry place to lay her egg
How old is she , and can you give us a little more information? Has she been eating or taking water? Has she been laying eggs recently, and has she had any problems with thin shelled or abnormal eggs? Can you insert a finger into her vent an inch or two to check for a stuck egg? Has she had any runny poops, or any that are yellowish like egg material? Sometimes it is hard to tell if they are egg bound or perhaps suffering from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Do you have crushed oyster shell available for her to take as she needs it?

It's best to not put the oystershell into the food, but let them eat what they need. The cream colored poop sounds a little suspicious for egg material.

There is Calciboost you can buy and add it to their water. I give this to my girls when they get 2 years of age or when I get soft eggs. I have also bought the humane grade calcium and crushed it up and given it to my chickens. One third low dose pill, twice a week no vitamin D3 added. The doctor did advise me to be careful of giving D3 as it forces the chickens to absorb the calcium which can damage the liver. I only give a bit of D3 in cases of soft eggs but only for that time period. For you chicken I suggest giving her a suprelorin implant, google it on this site. Not all doctors give it but many do. You can also see one given to a chicken on youtube. Many of the hen rescues use them regularly and some backyard chickens lovers do as well. Your girl might have egg yolk peritonitis. She is at the right age for it. Is she swelled? On her left is her gizzard toward the back; feel around on her. The implant cost about $135. and an exam is around $60. ultra sound is about $35. Then she should be good to go. Also an antibiotic of doxycycline for an infection if she has EYP or an infection. The hope is the eggs will be absorbed. My experience EYP is the case with older girls. P.S after the antibiotic a probiotic is necessary. The USDA state poultry dept. in you state should put her down for you if needed, hopefully not. They will do a free necropsy as well. While your figuring it all out; if you believe she has EYP put her in a dark place to assist, so she does not continue to lay eggs internally. Good Luck and sorry. I feel your pain, been there for sure.

Back
Top Bottom