Eggbound??

jackjack3

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2017
Please advise. I think my chicken is eggbound. She is not really eating, is bull legged, her belly feels full, she has diarrhea and her comb is small and drying up. I’ve tried adding calcium to her food, several epsom salt baths, lubed her vent and even gently went into her vent with a finger but couldn’t feel anything. Could this be something else?

Can i see a picture?
She’s currently asleep in her own warmed space. Her vent is slightly pulsating but the area around it doesn’t appear to have a bulging egg shape. That’s what’s confusing to me. I will post a picture tomorrow morning.

What other issues present with all of these symptoms?
@jackjack3 Could be several things.
Is the big belly soft and squishy like a water balloon?
How old is this bird?

When I have a bird that is acting off I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Back
Top Bottom