Eggs and extreme heat

mxw1090

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 13, 2012
I know it's December, but I just added some chicks to the family. They will starting laying when it's pretty hot out. I'm wondering what the impact of heat will be on the eggs. I'm in AZ and summers are over 110 F, and sometimes does not get below 90F over night. I'm sure there will be eggs layed after I leave for work. If I plan on gathering the eggs in the afternoon, will sitting in the nesting box for 6 hours or so in 100+ degree weather hurt the eggs? If they are fertle will they start to develop?

Years ago I raised chickens when I lived in a cold climate, so I'm new to chickens in the heat.

welcome-byc.gif

We lived in a part of South Africa where the temperatures in Summer went up to and over 120* frequently. We were not always home to collect the eggs and they were fine, even though the coop was extremely warm during the day. The only problem we had with eggs and the heat over the 3 years we had laying hens was one summer when the eggs under my broodies went off. (We had a freak heatwave for a week with day time temps of up to 130*.) We didn't have any eggs developing without broodies sitting on them
smile.png

Should not be a problem. the eggs can actually sit for a couple of days with no risks and still be viable for brooding as well. I often dont even put the eggs in the fridge for a few days. Make sure your chicken have plenty of access to shade and water. Probably best to provide more than one water source if you have several chickens or they range a large area. There is some advice in her to put frozen water bottles in with their water in the morning. Sounds luxurious. Shade! Good feed. Water, Water, Water!

I am having the same opposite kind of question. I live in the north east and it is winter. I was not home for about three days and have just picked up 24 eggs from my girls. How long do they last ? My house sitter did not collect eggs, scared of the chickens......
hmm.png

Eggs last longer in cooler temperatures. I heard that an egg can age up to 7 times quicker if you store them at room temperature instead of in the fridge. So your eggs should be fine. If it was cold enough by you to freeze them you can thaw them slowly and eat them. Freezing may damage the shell though, so thaw them in a bowl, just in case!

Back
Top Bottom