Eggs & Antibiotics

ragotter

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
My Polish Hen laid her first egg today. I have 6 of my birds on preventative antibiotics due to 2 of my birds having what I suspect is Coryza. I only have the 8 birds so I plan on continuing to treat the sick girls and vaccinate the others. Are eggs edible while on preventative antibiotics and after receiving vaccinations?

Also, did I do wrong by putting my healthy birds on antibiotics as a precaution? New to chicken raising and any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks! Rene'

I have been treating them with Duramycin-10 (tetracycline hydrochloride) & Sulfadimethoxin in their water. I have ordered Tylan 200 but I am still waiting for it to arrive. Thank you for responding.

No you should not eat their eggs while they are on antibiotics and yes you made a good choice with putting the others on antibiotics as well.

I lost my Brahma but my other is doing better. I gave her a shot of Tylan 200 - using a diabetic needle I gave her an amount that was at the 5 on a 3/10ml syringe. It seems like such a small amount. I also gave the health birds the same amount of the vaccine for Coryza. Did I give the right amounts? and When can I put my quarantined hen back after she has been treated with Duramycin-10 (tetracycline hydrochloride) & Sulfadimethoxin for 6 days and (1) shot of Tylan 200? Tonight is the first time that she pecked at her treat of a fresh strawberry.

Back
Top Bottom