Eggs Anyone?

shoefunn

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 31, 2014
So, I have two white leghorn hens. They are 19 weeks old and not laying any eggs yet. They have nesting boxes, are on layer food and are also allowed some free ranging. A friend of mine has some hens from the same batch and hers have been laying for 3 weeks. Why aren't mine laying?

So, I have two white leghorn hens. They are 19 weeks old and not laying any eggs yet. They have nesting boxes, are on layer food and are also allowed some free ranging. A friend of mine has some hens from the same batch and hers have been laying for 3 weeks. Why aren't mine laying?
Make sure they are not laying outside the coop. Folks who allow free ranging, usually wait til they are used to laying in the nests.

I too, have 2 leghorns that aren't laying yet. They are 19 weeks as well but I'm optimistic that they'll start laying soon. I caught one of them checking out the nesting boxes the other day, so here's hoping.
fl.gif

19 weeks old is early for most birds to be laying, even for Leghorns. Most chickens start laying around 5-7 months old. Your friend's birds are unusual for starting so early. Your birds should start laying in a couple of weeks, right on schedule.

There are many reasons why your friend's birds could have started already. They are a different flock in a different place. Feed, time outside, coop, enviroment, and stress level are all variables that could be affecting the egg production.

Your birds aren't laying just yet because they are not ready to yet. 19 weeks is on the early end of the spectrum for time when laying is typically seen to begin, if the birds your friend has truly started at 16 wees that is really early. Look at the positives - your girls are getting some extra time for their systems to mature before the demands of production are put on them - this can only benefit you/your birds. If all goes well, your girls have years of production ahead of them, them being able to enjoy a few more weeks of not having that job is not such a bad thing.

We got our first egg!!!! They are 20 weeks and 2 days old! I was so excited to find it! Here is a picture of it.

Back
Top Bottom