Eggs are warm...are they still good?

jed1154

Songster
14 Years
Jul 10, 2008
I had 2 dzen eggs i was going to give to someone, and i took them out of the fridge after a week, put them in the car, and i forgot to give them to them. They have been out of the fridge for 5 hours....and its about 80 degrees. Are they still good, or should i trash them? I think they are ok, but i dont want to risk anything. What do you guys think?

according to posts here at BYC:
Fresh eggs do NOT have to be refrigerated right away and stay well for one week... and are good for 2 months in the fridge.

The ones at the store are up to a month old before they even get there--
and usually have a 3-4 week window of use before they "expire"--
I give them less, since I do not know how they were handled...

but yours are still by far fresher-- and a few hours shouldn't matter!

OK....but they have been refrigerated for a week or so....then warmed today by accident...and now they are back in teh fridge.

They are fine. As long as the shell is not cracked, you can set them out for years and they just dry up. With a healthy shell, they are sterile inside. We often take out eggs and set them on the counter for at least a week before making egg cakes, so they fluff up better.

There is NO problem as long as you eat them somewhat promptly; I don't know what it does to their shelf-life but surely doesn't improve it
tongue.png

Think of it this way, when you store hatching eggs, you keep them at (warmer than fridge) cool temps for a week or more and then raise them to considerably warmer than your car got, and not only are they ok, they turn into baby chicks
tongue.png
So obviously it is not a terrible thing to do
tongue.png

Pat

I have read several times on BYC that fresh eggs sink and old eggs float when placed in a pan of cool water.

OK. I think they are ok. Im going to take a couple out of the fridge tonight, leave them out for 5 hours, put them back in, and then eat them for breakfast for my own test.....

Back
Top Bottom