Eggs at 3 months!

IndyGail

Chirping
May 2, 2019
Indianapolis Indiana
Should I be worried. I got two female pekin ducks on June 10th 2020. They are already laying eggs. I thought 6 months was the norm. I found something in the pen that looked like a deflated egg on day two. So far I have two perfectly formed eggs. They are the same size as chicken eggs. These girls are Jumbo Pekin. Obviously I'm not experienced. Im just going on what I read. Anyone have Pekin duck egg experience?

Everything I've read, including in published books, says the rough expectation for laying eggs is as early as 17 weeks but that it can depend. One of our ducks laid one deflated looking egg and I've read that it's not uncommon. Definitely always offer oyster shell as suggested above—our girls eat it when they want and ignore it when they don't. Check out a note I posted about this in case the responses are helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/egg-laying-issue.1379418/#post-22664732.

Is it OK to eat the first few eggs. I notice now on Day 3 the eggs are bigger. When I cracked open Day Two egg, it was thick, Yolk was nice and orange, the white was very clear and thick. it wanted to stick onto the inner shell. It could be that I am just no use to eggs this fresh.

Everything I've read, including in published books, says the rough expectation for laying eggs is as early as 17 weeks but that it can depend. One of our ducks laid one deflated looking egg and I've read that it's not uncommon. Definitely always offer oyster shell as suggested above—our girls eat it when they want and ignore it when they don't. Check out a note I posted about this in case the responses are helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/egg-laying-issue.1379418/#post-22664732.
Thanks for the information.

Is it OK to eat the first few eggs. I notice now on Day 3 the eggs are bigger. When I cracked open Day Two egg, it was thick, Yolk was nice and orange, the white was very clear and thick. it wanted to stick onto the inner shell. It could be that I am just no use to eggs this fresh.
Yes Duck eggs are like that.

Back
Top Bottom