Eggs ... but no shells

chickentikka

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 11, 2013
I've got a speckled sussex that has never laid a regular egg - I just get nest-ruining globs depending on how much they gobble up. Happily, it hasn't turned the rest of the flock into egg eaters. I don't hold out any hope of "fixing" her; I just can't imagine that nutrition is a problem as we have never had any problem with our others and have been at this for awhile. Anyway, does anyone have a scientific explanation for her issue? Just curious!

When only one bird is laying 'bad' eggs, it's not likely the diet.

Scientifically.....she's a 'lemon', got a broke egg machine.
Haha, Sorry.

Something is wrong with her anatomy, only way to know for sure would be dissection.

How old is she?

When only one bird is laying 'bad' eggs, it's not likely the diet.

Scientifically.....she's a 'lemon', got a broke egg machine.
Haha, Sorry.

Something is wrong with her anatomy, only way to know for sure would be dissection.

How old is she?

She is a total lemon! She is about a year and a half. I don't monitor things real closely, but my impression is that she doesn't "lay" quite as often as the other girls do. She belongs to my daughter (of course) and does do her part by pooping on and shredding dry leaves for my husband's compost pile. If not for those two things she could be in trouble ....

I've had chickens do this at the very start of their cycle, but I've never heard of a completely shell-free chicken! She seems perfectly healthy and normal in every other way but there must be something off!

I had one that laid thin of softshells constantly, tried to fix it for months.
Finally decided soup was better than daily cleaning of nests.

Back
Top Bottom