Eggs feel gritty and look chalky.

That doesn't appear to be that abnormal, not enough to change feeds IMO.

Some birds have different 'finishes' on their eggs, depending on how their shell gland functions and/or how much bloom they deposit. Some are shiny with lots of bloom, some have a matte finish.....nothing to be alarmed about.

Shelling is not all about calcium, but also other nutrients that affect how they uptake and apply the calcium to the eggs. Often shelling issues have to do with the overall diet, birds on layer feed should not get many, if any, other 'treats'.

Its a hot debate on here. Some people attribute too much calcium to liver and or kidney issues later in life, others live and die by layer feed.
Personally, I figure your dietary needs are different than mine, and since I have a bunch of different breeds and therefore sizes... I'm feeding them all flock with the OS on the side so they can self regulate how much calcium they get.

I'm feeding them all flock with the OS on the side so they can self regulate how much calcium they get.
I do the same, it's good thing to do with multi-generational and/or multi-gendered flock (still have had 'chalky' egg layers),
but with this particular situation I don't think feed change is in order.

Its a hot debate on here. Some people attribute too much calcium to liver and or kidney issues later in life, others live and die by layer feed.
Personally, I figure your dietary needs are different than mine, and since I have a bunch of different breeds and therefore sizes... I'm feeding them all flock with the OS on the side so they can self regulate how much calcium they get.
Is All Flock a particular brand? Or just the feed in general?

That doesn't appear to be that abnormal, not enough to change feeds IMO.

Some birds have different 'finishes' on their eggs, depending on how their shell gland functions and/or how much bloom they deposit. Some are shiny with lots of bloom, some have a matte finish.....nothing to be alarmed about.

Shelling is not all about calcium, but also other nutrients that affect how they uptake and apply the calcium to the eggs. Often shelling issues have to do with the overall diet, birds on layer feed should not get many, if any, other 'treats'.
They get bread, tomatoes, lettuce, etc on a daily basis.. should I stop giving that to them?

They get bread, tomatoes, lettuce, etc on a daily basis.. should I stop giving that to them?
It's best to limit that stuff. Feeding a higher protein feed can offset some lower protein items in the diet and prevent deficiencies.

All Flock is a type of feed, formulated to be fed to multiple poultry species that are 8 weeks and older, it's a one size fits all ration. Add a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.

Purina Flockraiser is one brand of all flock as an example.

It's best to limit that stuff. Feeding a higher protein feed can offset some lower protein items in the diet and prevent deficiencies.

All Flock is a type of feed, formulated to be fed to multiple poultry species that are 8 weeks and older, it's a one size fits all ration. Add a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.

Purina Flockraiser is one brand of all flock as an example.
Oh Ok! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom