Eggs from eBay

Phunktacular

Songster
Oct 29, 2016
Fulton, NY
Ordered eggs from eBay, for the first time. Received the eggs 3 days before I was expecting them. I bought 12 blue Orpington hatching eggs. I put them and another 8 eggs from my own flock in the incubator on Monday June 8th. I have 3 lavender Orpington hens and 1 rooster. Also, I've got 8 sex link red hens. So, I'm hoping for some lavender Orpington chicks, as well.

Good luck with your hatch! We've had mixed luck with eggs from Ebay, but we've been able to hatch a few gorgeous chicks from those eggs, so I feel it's been worth it. :)

If they're truly the quality birds they claim, a <50% hatch will be worth it. Eggs were only 12/$25 with shipping. Proving at different places puts babies at $25-$35 each.

Well, out of the 12 eggs purchased from the eBay sale, I've got 3 babies hatched. It appears to be 1 blue, 1 splash and 1 black, as of now. Out of the 8 from my own flock, 4 have hatched. It looks like 2 lavender Orpingtons, another mixed color with my birds (I've got 3 lavender Orpington hens, had about 8 red sex links, and 1 lavender Orpington rooster) and another that looks like a black Orpington. I found that odd because, I have no black birds. However, I learned that all Orpington lines of chickens stem from the first Orpington, which was a Black Orpington.

After getting only 3 out of 12 eggs to hatch, I wasn't very happy with the variance of colors that hatched of the 3. 1 each of a blue, black and a splash. So, I am giving it another go. I ordered another 12 Blue Orpington hatching eggs from the same seller. They've been in the incubator since July 4th. Temps are holding strong and humidity is a little high but, not too bad. Hanging around 40%. Not much I can do because of the outside humidity.

Monday, June 22nd, the eggs have been in the incubator for 14 days. I won't candle until Friday, day 18, when I move them to lock down. They've been in the turners and uninterrupted for the entire time with consistent heat and humidity. Humidity has been a little high because of the outside humidity but, it hasn't been much higher than 40-45% at any point. Pretty sure they're still good. Best advantage is, it's not using the water from my humidifier and I haven't had to open the incubator to fill it.

Back
Top Bottom