eggs...hatching in turner?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
This may seem like a silly question to some of you, but do any of you have better luck with your eggs hatching (or pipping) in the turner? My first two hatches hatched early. I went to take the eggs off the turner on day 18, and had 5 pipped already, on my first set, and on the second, I had 3 pipped before they were moved on the 18th day. I only had 13 and 6 eggs respectively. This time, my third set, I had 6 eggs, and moved them on the 18th like I was supposed to. I saw movement in 1 for sure, but I never can see very well into them at that late of a date. It is now day 22, and no pips, peeps, rocking or nothing. So I was just wondering if anyone leaves their eggs on the turner to hatch? Do you think I might have better luck with using an egg carton for hatching?

I often hatch mine in the turner when short on room in the hatcher, just turn the turner off. When I'm not maxxed out in the hatcher I do use the egg cartons. Clean up is a breeze, more room for more eggs, less mortality from hatchlings rolling unhatched eggs around etc.

I have a few friends in my area that say they never stop turning the eggs. That is why i was wondering, they seemed to do better being left in the turner?

Hi! I've had lots of chicks hatch while still in the turner. I see no great hatching issues from leaving them to hatch in the turner turning...
except after they hatch could be a problem.
I had a turner amputate a leg and I've had several chicks with amputated toes (in the grand scheme of all the chicks that have hatched in the turner while the turner was turning --- but, those incidents didn't seem minor at the time)..
Are you lucky or not-so-lucky?
If you ever have a chick hatch and sit the wrong way on the bars and get a foot pinched off, you'll understand. Or get toes pinched off in the turning mechanism.
Chicks can get lucky, but it is better to take luck out ot the equation and use 'common sense' --- unplug the turner.
wink.png

Lisa

It seems, that the turner is not your problem. Are you sure that your incubator temperature and humidity is 100% the way it is supposed to be? If so, you should not have hatches that early or late.....

As long as your turner has no way of smashing the new born chicks if they fall between the slats or however your particular turner works, just let them hatch in it if you like. Finding a smashed chick in a turner is no fun...

With my last hatch, I had 6 eggs in the bator, and 15 under a hen, a day later than the bator chicks. Both the eggs in the bator, and the hens eggs, hatched 2 days early...I was thinking the same myself, with the first set, but since the hen hatched early as well, I don't know what the deal is. I have had some people tell me that banty eggs hatch earlier than standard eggs, though idk if this is true. Seems that way though.

On days to take an egg to hatch, there are some strain variations. Most go with the 21 day thing, but you can have strains that hatch on day 19 as late as day 23 as normal. A research group once selectively bred leghorns to routenly hatch on day 18 or something rediculous like that for proof of principle.

Back
Top Bottom