EGGS HATCHING!! questions about peeping and piping

sloallie10

Songster
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
CA
My eggs are hatching today! Me and my sister woke up to a very loud peep and we are so excited! One egg (bbs standard cochin) has piped (YAY) but the pip is on the small side of the egg. Is this ok? I know that we have been hand turning these eggs so i thought that might have something to do with it... n
hu.gif

Also Is it ok to take pictures with flash or to shine a flashlight in the bator? We feel it might be disturbing them.
idunno.gif
AND Its ok if the chicks peep before they pip right?

ALSO how long until the zip comes after the pip?

bun.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Well its not advised to turn the eggs after about day 18, so that might be why your baby is pipping the wrong end. Many people take pics or shine lights in the bator during a hatch (just look at any of the other hatching threads, they are covered in hatching pics)
It actually normal for chicks to peep before they pip, it means they are ready to get out of the egg and into the big world. I would be worried if the chick DIDNT peep.
The zip usually comes within a few hours of the pip.
smile.png

Congrats!!!!!!!

Quote:
Well its not advised to turn the eggs after about day 18, so that might be why your baby is pipping the wrong end. Many people take pics or shine lights in the bator during a hatch (just look at any of the other hatching threads, they are covered in hatching pics)
It actually normal for chicks to peep before they pip, it means they are ready to get out of the egg and into the big world. I would be worried if the chick DIDNT peep.
The zip usually comes within a few hours of the pip.
smile.png

Congrats!!!!!!!

Ok! all of that sounds about right except for Yes I did stop turning the eggs on day 18. I am saying we hand turned them , we didnt have a automatic turner.

You will hear them peeing inside the egg before they hatch.From the time they firstbreak through the shell to fully hatched can take up to 24 hrs. Taking pictures is fine as long as you DO NOT OPEN THE BATOR!!!!! If you open the lid the humidity will escape and the membrane in the egg will shrink wrap you chick making it imposible for them to hatch. Once they hatch you can leave them in for up to 24-48 hours, until the other eggs are done hatching, without food or water and they will be fine. The nutrition they get from absorbing the yolk will hold them over.

Good Luck and Happy Hatching

***WARNING: Hatching is VERY addictive***

Quote:
I had NO idea they peed in their eggs.
lau.gif

Good Grief! I can't type to save my life! In my defense I was on my phone and it likes to correct what it thinks you are typing. I have no excuse for the other 99% of the time I do these things.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom