Eggs in hot weather

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Are these eggs for eating? Eggs have a lot of mass and don't change temp all that fast. Eggs laid in the morning should still be ok for 5 hours, but I'd collect them as soon as you possibly can.

Welcome to our community!
Yes, They are for eating. The ladies started laying super early, they are only 15 weeks! Tiny eggs but perfect. With the temperature so high I was worried about the eggs going bad.
The very first egg had a double yolk, don’t know if that’s normal.

Yes, They are for eating. The ladies started laying super early, they are only 15 weeks! Tiny eggs but perfect. With the temperature so high I was worried about the eggs going bad.
The very first egg had a double yolk, don’t know if that’s normal.
Yes double yolkers, small eggs, etc... all normal for young layers. They are still growing and maturing, it takes a while to get their egg laying machines in gear. :)

I'm in Texas. We have plenty of days over 100. I gather mine in the mornings and the evenings. The morning eggs stay outside in a basket until I bring the evening eggs in. I hang the basket inside the run, in the shade. I've never had eggs spoil.
Oh wow!
That is so good to hear. I have a swamp cooler set up for the ladies but it’s still low 80s in the coop and was concerned.
Thank You ❤️

Back
Top Bottom