Eggs in Incubator..count down to May 21!!

I'm joining in on this hatch if it is ok! I just set 16 Welsummer eggs from Iowa on May 1st Sunday night. They are in the square foam 'hovabator and the smaller eggs have to go in the middle cause I noticed last time that the large eggs got stuck on the elements hanging down there.

I am doing the DRY INCUBATION method this time. There was a little disruption in the beginning because I had eggs getting ready for lockdown in the turners and these eggs initially had to go around the outside. Then last night I pulled the lockdown eggs for the hatcher and set these all into the more central area.

So temperature seems stabilized. That is all there is to check on these. More eggs arriving this week to fill it up. I'm thinking I will need to buy a second foam bator for the rest of them. I AM going to try the egg carton method and prop the cartons. That is such a COOL IDEA. the other way I say was to TILT the whole incubator. BUT in a still incubator without a fan, that would probably not have the temps even, it would collect in the higher end.

I'll have to open it up soon and take a pictures of my eggs, Maybe not until that next shipment arrives! I hear it is supposed to be a higher hatch rate if not messed with.

Oh so hard to do that!!

I just love these baby chicks!! My cat thinks I got him 'CAT TV' cause he can look in the top of the brooder and watch the chickies!
lol.png

Come on May 21st!

We just got a GQF model 1266 on the 29th and set about 50 on Sunday the 30th. First time hatching my own wish us luck. So far the incubator is pretty easy to work with.

"chicksntexas wrote:
DH comes in the room...I'm standing there looking in the incubator. DH - 'what are you doing?' me 'watching the eggs' DH shakes head and walks away. lol!!! "

That is just too funny!

I told teen daughter to come listen to the egg peeping. It's like 11 pm at night and she's on a kitchen run prior to turning in...
So she comes over, nothing, walks away, I tell her excitedly, " quick he's peeping again', After the third time and no peeps, she went upstairs. The next day hubby tells me that daughter is seriously concerned about my sanity!! Totally doesn't believe that eggs peep!
lol.png

I now have CAT TV. Brooder is on floor with wired top. Cat loves it. It has a heat lamp. Cat loves it. Curls up on top to watch the chickies, figure out HOW CAN HE EAT THEM and enjoys the heat. It's only 2 weeks then they can join the basement grow up brooder!

Sorry, just had to share!

Quote:
lol cat TV! love it! Every time I start talking chickens, me teen son just starts laughing! You watch, though...as soon as the little chickies start hatching they will be hovering over the bator right along with me!
big_smile.png

How's everybody doing? Bator has been up and down with temps..but not drastic changes...I can't seem to get the humidity to stabilize. Add water in the morning can get it to 40-45, then it drops down to 35 or so as the day progresses. Since this is my first experience with hatching...I'm a bit paranoid!

Quote:
I'm doing better this time around. temp pretty steady at 101, humiditiy in the mid 50's. I doubled up a towel across the top of the incubator and it seems to help regulate the heat better. Be better able to tell how I'm doing when I candle them in a couple three more days.
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom