Eggs in the poop hammock??

Jayla K

Hatching
Sep 2, 2016
I've just started using a poop hammock in my coop. (It's been 4 weeks) last week I found two eggs in the poop hammock. Today the same thing happened, two more eggs. Wondering if this is normal?

What do their nesting boxes look like? They are using it as a nesting box, try giving them a more cozy and inviting for them place to lay their eggs

Welcome to BYC!

New layers often drop eggs off the roost....hopefully that is all it is, and they are not walking into the hammock to lay

Agrees, need info on your nests....pics would be even better!

Last edited:
I've just started using a poop hammock in my coop. (It's been 4 weeks) last week I found two eggs in the poop hammock. Today the same thing happened, two more eggs. Wondering if this is normal?
Yes. In fact I have my poop board only 3½" from the roost to save eggs laid through the night. What is happening is your hens are laying after they have gone to roost. It happens from time to time even when they have fully matured.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

New layers often drop eggs off the roost....hopefully that is all it is, and they are not walking into the hammock to lay

Agrees, need info on your nests....pics would be even better!
Wow, there's one more reason to have a roost hammock, I never knew freshly laying hens would lay from a roost! <Splat!>
ep.gif

Last edited:
Thank you for the advise. I'll post some pictures later today I'm hoping that they're only doing it at night :) thank you!

Back
Top Bottom