Eggs on side or large end up in incubator

either way is correct. If you use a foam container, cut the bottoms out. With my hatch last spring, I started them in a cardboard box, and laid them down on day 14. No particular reason, that's just what I wanted to do!

I've done both as well.
If I have a large hatch I let them lay on their side, but if I only have less than 20 going to lockdown I like to stand them up in paper egg cartons with the bottoms cut out, or cut down pieces of toilet paper tube. There are pros and cons with each method.
For me, when I let them hatch on their side, once the first chicks are out and dry they begin roaming around and roll the pips in all kinds of different directions. When standing them upright they hatch great, but the wore out little chicks tend to get stuck in the shell, and it takes them longer to get out of the egg shell.
I normally have a large set, so I let them set on their side, but If I wasn't going to be here for the hatch, or be able to babysit the bator during hatch time, I'd stand them up.
I know that was kindy roamy and all, but I hope it helps.... just what works for me.
wink.png

If you hatch them upright, your going to want to have the narrow end pointing down because typically the air cell is/will be attached to the larger end. Hatching, well, I have done both upright and laying down. I din't really find a difference in hatch rate. The only thing is you don't want the eggs too crowded if you lay them down because the hatched chicks will push the unhatched eggs all over!

Back
Top Bottom